1. Whispers in the dark

In a city divided not just by the towering walls but by the secrets it harbored, the night was alive with whispers. The East Side, cloaked in shadows, was home to Ava, whose life had been anything but ordinary. From a young age, she was trained to move silently, to strike swiftly, and to trust no one. The Silent Footsteps guild had given her a purpose, a family of sorts, but it was a lonely existence, filled with danger at every turn.
Across the divide, the West Side glittered with the false promise of opulence and power. Ethan, despite being born into this world of privilege, found no comfort in its gilded cages. He sought freedom in the adrenaline of the underground, in the challenge of disrupting the status quo. The Crimson Blades were his chosen family, a group that fought against the corruption that his own bloodline represented.
Their worlds were destined to collide.

It was on a night much like any other, under the cover of darkness, that Ava received her mission. The target was a document of great importance to the city's balance of power, rumored to be held within a West Side estate heavily guarded and shrouded in mystery. It was the kind of challenge Ava lived for, an opportunity to prove her worth to the guild once more.
Ethan, too, had his sights set on the same prize. The document contained information that could cripple the corrupt elite, including members of his own family. It was a chance to strike a blow for the Crimson Blades, to edge closer to the change he yearned to see in the city.
Their paths converged in the sprawling gardens of the estate, a maze of shadows and secrets. Ava, cloaked in the darkness, moved with a grace that betrayed her deadly intent. Ethan, equally adept in the art of stealth, navigated the night with a confidence born of countless similar missions.
They were unaware of each other's presence until the document was almost within reach, inside a study bathed in the soft glow of moonlight filtering through the windows. It was then that Ava sensed a shift in the air, a presence that was not supposed to be there. She paused, hidden by the shadows, her senses on high alert.
Ethan, too, felt the presence of another. Years of training had honed his instincts, and he knew immediately that he was not alone. He stilled, listening, waiting for any sign of the intruder.
Their eyes met across the dimly lit room, surprise mirrored in both their gazes. Ava's hand moved instinctively toward the dagger at her waist, while Ethan's fingers found the hilt of his sword. The document lay forgotten on the desk, the initial reason for their intrusion now secondary to the immediate threat they posed to each other.
The silence stretched between them, charged with the anticipation of the confrontation to come. It was a standoff, with neither willing to make the first move, yet both understanding that they could not leave without having what they had come for.
It was Ava who broke the silence, her voice a low whisper in the dark. "Looks like we're after the same thing."
Ethan's reply was equally quiet, a hint of amusement in his tone. "Seems so. I suppose this means we'll have to decide who wants it more."