Back Home (Aziracrow oneshot)

It has been a long week for Aziraphale and they had to be away from their bookshop for a while. They were up, sorting things out, such as paperwork and some other issues. When the angel was finally able to return to their beloved bookshop, they felt relieved to be back home.

Even if it was early in the morning, the first thing they did was preparing a cup of hot cocoa, with a book to read. Aziraphale loved Heaven, of course, but they often felted saddened by the absence of food and material objects. The angel headed towards their armchair, the perfect book chosen, and their cacao cup ready in hand, but stopped midway. On the creased leather, there laid giant red and black snake, that was asleep. The moment of surprise gone, the angel continued their way to put their cup and book on the little table in front of the chair.

By the time they turned back to the snake, he was looking at them, fully awake. He has been awakened, not by the angel's close movement, but by their scent. The snake seemed rather content to see the owner of the bookshop. Aziraphale was slightly surprised to see him awake, as he was in a deep sleep seconds ago. Surprised, but happy. They know nothing bad could happen as long as they're with their favorite demon. However, they were a bit worried. The bookshop's owner sat on the armchair, next to Crowley. Then they spoke:

"- Crowley? It's quite unusual to see you in that form. Are you alright?"

The snake nodded, and Aziraphale let out a sigh of relief. They look into the snake's eyes and smiled, for the first time of the week.

"- Well, that's a relief", the angel then said. "So, tell me, why did you turn into a snake?"

The demon seemed oblivious to the question as he crawled on the angel's shoulders, and slithered around their neck, so their angel had a snake scarf, to keep them warm. Once Crowley was comfortable enough, he put his head against Aziraphale's. The scales were cold against their skin, but it didn't bother the angel. It did worry them a bit because they forgot that snakes are cold-blooded creatures. So they ask again:

"-Dear, are you sure you are feeling well?"

Their taciturn demon didn't react. The angel of the Eastern Gate then noticed he fell asleep, and worry got off their mind, to let a smile and other thoughts come. Thoughts that led to understanding, and an even bigger smile.

"- Oh my, you were waiting for me to come back weren't you? Do not worry, I missed you too."

Aziraphale then used a small miracle to bring their cocoa cup and book into their hand, so they wouldn't wake up Crowley. They read, while drinking the content of the cup. Once the cocoa had been all drunk, the cup and the book miraculously found their way back on the table. The angel then laid their head on their armchair, and started falling asleep, their favorite demon still wrapped around them.

Once those who wore many names, hereditary enemies, friends, group of the two of them, were asleep, a peculiar melody could be heard outside of the shop, in Whickber Street. The voice of a nightingale, singing loud and clear, like it had never sung before, and like it will never sing again... Or will it?