37

Yellow police tape encircled the lake shore, establishing a perimeter for the detectives to do their job. From the main bedroom window, Peyton, Amanda, Wren, and Matt watched as the bodybag was carried away on a stretcher into the awaiting ambulance. In the darkness of night, the red and blue lights blared their warning. Something had gone wrong at that party and having been there when the body was discovered, all attendees had to wait inside for questioning.

"Why are they keeping us here? We're not the ones who found it?" Wren groaned before sitting down on the bed.

The group turned to her, each of them on edge but trying to hide it.

"We were all there when it happened. As Detective Reddick said, we all need to give a statement," Matt said before glancing at Amanda.

She had her arms wrapped around herself, seemingly in a daze as she stared out the window.

"The whole thing is so strange," Wren said unable to wrap her head around today's discovery.

   On the lake, a boat unit, now, examined the lake. Thanks to the blaring projectors, Amanda could see the man in scuba diving gear getting ready to make a decent.

What other secret did the lake keep submerged in its depths?

"What are they doing now?" Payton asked when she turned back to the window.

"They're going to search the lake," Amanda said simply and they both watched as the men fell backward into the murky water, diving in.

A new set of headlights appeared before the mayor's car came into view.

Amanda turned to Matt, "Dad's here," she said.

"Alright, I'll go see what I can find out," he said and was about to leave the room when Amanda said, "I'm coming with you."

Wanting to protest, Matt stared into his sister's determined eyes and knew he wouldn't persuade her.

"Fine," he said and walked away.

   Amanda turned to Peyton, finding a slight frown on her face. Only now did she realize how terrible this situation must be for her. It was her birthday party after all. Another event was ruined again. When she reached for her hand, Amanda felt a slight tremor run through her body. Peyton looked down at their held hands before gazing up at her, her eyes void.

"I'll go find out what's going on?" Amanda said in a reassuring tone.

When Peyton didn't respond, lost in a daze, Amanda squeezed her hand.

She blinked a few times, the action pulling her out of her head.

"What?" Peyton asked.

Amanda sighed, "My dad is here. I'll go find out what I can. Are you going to be alright?" she asked, not at all reassured by her overall demeanor.

A few seconds went by before Peyton nodded, "Sure, okay. I should probably call my dad anyway," she said while absently pulling out her phone.

   Amanda nodded and watched as she walked away. Standing by the window she brought the phone to her ear. As she waited, Amanda didn't miss the moment tears welled up in her eyes. Her heart broke at the sight. She wished she could make all this better, however, she knew the only way to better this situation was by getting more information about whatever the hell was going on.

So she headed downstairs. Her schoolmates were conglomerated in the living room area, all of them looking grim.

"Did you see where Matt went?" she asked to anyone who'd answer.