𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞...!

prologue

prologue

Karen and her mother, Lori, didn't have a good relationship

Karen and her mother, Lori, didn't have a good relationship. They weren't close in any sort of way, in fact it might've seemed like they hated each other.

A year before, in '73, Karen's dad was killed in warfare. This caused them to drift. Ever since, the young girl did whatever she could to rebel. Nobody knew why she became like this. Karen was angry. Angry at the world for making men feel like they had to fight wars. If it weren't for them she'd still have her dad.

Afterwards, she started to rebel against her mother, trying anything she could to annoy her. She would listen to her rock music too loud, pick fights with kids at school, talk back to her mother, slam doors everywhere she went. Karen eventually began taking on jobs around the town just to stay out of the house. Cutting lawns, babysitting, dog walking, cleaning, pretty much anything she could find.

⋆。☮︎ ° ✿˚。⋆

It was around 4:15pm by the time Karen had finished her babysitting job for a family on the nicer side of town. Karen cycled her way past the beautiful houses, soon making her stop in the centre of town.

As always, she made a stop at the mini-mart to pick up an ice-cream. She's always buy herself a treat after her longer shifts. Karen found her way to a bench and sat down, propping her bike up next to her and folding her legs into a criss cross pattern. After a bit of people-watching, and finishing her ice-cream, Karen stood up, ready to go. The girl was about to get back on her bicycle, when a poster stuck to a pole caught her eye.

'VOLUNTEERS WANTED! Try out our new time travel technology.' It read in bold, bright-red lettering. Beneath it held some information about the matter. Karen skimmed over it, the only words that seemed interesting to her was 'any volunteers will be guaranteed a large cash reward'.

There seemed to only be three of the twelve pull tabs ripped off at the bottom. Karen decided to rip the entire poster off the pole and take it with her, folding it up and shoving it in her back pocket. She then got back on her bike and peddled home.

Karen didn't believe in time travel, it was a stupid idea, of course. However, the poster did say she'd be rewarded money. Plus, if it worked (heavy on the if) at least she'd be able to get away from her mother.

It didn't take Karen long to get home, she quickly discarded her bike on the front lawn and sprinted inside the house, slamming the door behind her.

"Stop slammin' my doors!" Her mother yelled, routinely. Karen ignored her, running through the house to her bedroom and slamming that door behind her too.

Lori rolled her eyes, mumbling about how she would pray for her misbehaving child.

Karen whipped out the paper from her back pocket to study it. There was a date at the bottom telling her the event would take place in a week from then. She also found the address on the paper.

Karen didn't completely recognise it, but she did know it was on a street near the edge of town. It couldn't be too hard to find, since the only two things outside of the neighbourhood was the rail yard and now apparently a testing facility.

The poster didn't specify the amount of money, all that Karen cared about was the fact it would be a lot.

She kissed the paper and whispered, "Thank you, Lord."

Vic speaks

Vic speaks.˚
I've written the prologue, finally! I know this is short but the next couple of chapters will make more sense and will probably be longer. We'll also see more of Karen's personality! Thanks for reading <3

⋆。☮︎ ° ✿˚。⋆