16. The Confession & Eyes Of Honey

It was dark

It was dark. So dark. And silent. The only sound being my ragged breaths and racing heart. I was running, but I had no idea what I was running from. I could barely feel my feet as I ran as fast as my legs could take me. Wait.. I was searching for something. Or someone.

All of a sudden, a feeling of dread washed over me. Panic settled in the pit of my stomach, causing adrenaline to pierce through my veins.

"CED!" Someone was screaming.

"CEDRIC! PLEASE!" I heard it again.

"CEDRIC!" It was then that I realized I was the one screaming.

***

I awoke with a jolt, drenched in a cold sweat. My chest was heaving up and down as I struggled to catch my breath. Glancing at the clock, I realized it was three o'clock in the morning. I wiped at my face and realized I had been crying. Tears continued to pour from my eyes. Unfortunately, the panic I felt in the dream didn't subside upon awakening. Despite my frantic state, I was able to grab my wand and cast lumos, breathing a sigh of relief when I was no longer in the dark.

Natalie groaned before sitting up in bed, removing her sleep mask and looking at me in confusion. When she took note of my frazzled expression, she sprung to her feet and made her way to my side.

"What's wrong?" She asked in a tired voice, sitting on my bed.

I shook my head, still trying to pull myself together. "It was just a nightmare," I whispered, willing myself to believe it. "It was just a nightmare." I repeated for good measure.

She nodded in understanding. "Right. Well, try to go back to sleep. It's barely Witching Hour."

***

After the nightmare, I tossed and turned until sunrise, so I was running on barely four hours of sleep. Throughout the day, I found that the unsettled feeling in the pit of my stomach never went away. The sensation worsened anytime I so much as thought about Cedric or the final challenge. That day, I knew I could no longer keep my feelings for him a secret. If something were to happen, I couldn't handle him not ever knowing the depth of my love for him. I owed it not only to myself, but to him, to make my feelings known... Right? Yes.. I convinced myself of that much.

Which was why, despite being a bundle of nerves, I found myself approaching him in the courtyard. He was sitting by himself at one of the picnic tables, pouring over a textbook.

"Cedric," I breathed out his name, my cheeks flushing as his stormy eyes locked with mine.

He quirked a brow, waiting for me to continue.

"Can we talk? Please?" I bit my lower lip nervously.

He nodded once. "Of course. What's up?"

He closed the book he was reading and shoved it in his bag before standing up, towering over my five-foot-one stature.
I gulped. My heart was already thumping wildly against my chest.

"Can we, um.. Talk somewhere more private?" My voice wavered slightly, earning a confused look from my friend.

"Yeah..." He trailed off slowly. "Is everything okay, Elliana?" His voice was laced with concern.

I was quick to nod. "Y-Yeah. I just really need to talk to you is all."

It was then that Chang rounded the corner (of course), locking eyes with Cedric and giving him a stern look. She bounded over to us and linked her hand through his, casting me a glare that went unnoticed by him. He kissed her temple, causing my heart to drop to my stomach. I felt like I was going to be sick. Perhaps I shouldn't go through with this?

"What's going on, Ceddie?" She asked in a sickly-sweet voice.

He wrapped his arm around her and brought her to his side. "Elliana and I are going to go for a quick walk, okay? I'll be right back."

Her lips pulled down in a frown. Anger flashed in her dark eyes as she stared me down. I wasn't one for confrontation, so I shrunk back under her vengeful gaze.

"Don't be long," she spoke through clenched teeth, though she still somehow managed to sound sweet. "You promised me a picnic, remember?"

He smiled down at his girlfriend with such tenderness that it made my heart clench painfully. He lightly tapped her nose with his index finger and chuckled.