Chapter 48

Giovanni- Now
I haven't been working. Not this time. Jax is here, he can pick up the work, I'm needed here this time.

Today though, I am going into my home office because I need to send some boring emails, that stuff.

There's a knock on my office door, peeling me away from my computer.

"Come in." I call.

Our maid opens my office door and she gives me a polite smile.

"Mrs Moretti is having a shower and getting ready." She tells me.

It's the most both of us have done in a few weeks.

"Thank you." I say and she nods before leaving me alone in my office.

You know when you have this awful gut feeling? I have a bad feeling about today, I felt it when I woke up.

About an hour later, there's another knock on my door.

I look up to my wife who looks so beautiful as she stands in my office door frame.

Her black dress and her hair all tied back with the minimal amount of makeup makes me feel uneasy.

"You look beautiful." I tell her and she all but cringes.

"Did Matteo leave?" I ask, my eyes zoning in on the papers in her hands.

I can't read what the papers say but I can make a fucking good guess.

"He did." She nods.

Her heels click across my office floor as she comes to my desk.

She slaps the papers in front of me, face up.

I knew it was coming, doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.

Divorce Agreement.

"No." Is all I say, not giving the papers a second look.

It's not the first time she's told me we should get a divorce, first time her shoving signed divorce papers in front of my face though.

"Don't make this harder than it already is." She tells me.

"This is ridiculous, not happening. You can't keep running when one bad thing happens." I tell her.

"It's not one bad thing!" She exclaims.

I stand from my seat and look her dead in the eyes.

"I won't sign them." I tell her. "There's nothing you could do to get me to." I admit.

"Gio please." She begs, not looking at me,

"No." I reinforce.

She doesn't say anything for a second, but it takes me a minute longer to realise she's crying.

"You need someone who will give you a child, I cannot do that." She says and cringes as she does, the pain spread across her face is real, nothing will change that she's hurting.

"There are so many other ways for us to have children!" I say getting frustrated.

I don't see why she thinks we can't have children because she can't carry it.

She cries harder and shakes her head.

I try to get to her but with every step I take closer to her, she takes one back.

She's putting so much space between us, it's unreal.

"Why?" I ask her.

"I wish I could give you a child but I'm so exhausted, I don't want to do this anymore." She admits to me.

It hurts more than any gun shot wound could leave, and trust me I would know.

"I don't care, I really don't." I tell her.

"I want a divorce." She tells me.

I nod even though it hurts.

I'll sign them, if it's what she really wants and she knows that.

"Where are you going?" I ask.

She's dressed up and I can't bear to look at her. It takes a lot to hurt a man like me and unknowingly, she's pulled me apart.

"Matteo is outside, I'm going to stay in his penthouse." She tells me.

"No." I tell her.

If I can control anything about this situation it will be the fact she's staying here, with security.

"You get the house in the divorce, so stay here. Give me an hour to pack up some things and I'll get out of your hair." I tell her.

I immediately leave my office and head to our bedroom, pulling out necessities I'll need. Just some staple bits of clothes before I can get Matteo back in here to grab me more stuff or even before I come home.

It doesn't take anything close to an hour.

I look around our bedroom and sigh.

When had this house become so... haunted?

It used to be full of so many good memories, all I can think about now is the breakdowns and the waves of sadness that have floated through this house. There isn't a single corner of this house unscathed from our sadness.

I need to get out of here, give her some time to realise all I want is her. There's only so many times I can tell her.

I can't lie and say I'm not angry because I am. There are so many other ways for us to have children and since the beginning of our marriage she's had one foot in, one out.

When I get back to my office to pack up some immediate stuff I'll need, she's still stood in the exact same spot.

I pack away my stuff, and slide the divorce papers in one of my bags.

I walk back past her and drop my bags by the door, I turn back around to head over to her.

She's watching me as I make my way back over to her.

I walk to her with determination.

I grab her face between my hands and pull her into me for one last kiss.

A goodbye kiss.

Once I pull away she's got that glassy eye look and I just stroke her cheek with my thumb.

"I need you to know." I tell her. "I love you and that won't stop. I will never stop fighting for you because what he have is so right and deep down you know that too. So you might be ready to hand this in." I point back and forth us. "But I'm not." I tell her.

"Whether we're married or not, I don't care what a piece of fucking paper says, I'm going to get you back and prove you deserve my love and I deserve yours." I tell her.

"But until you're ready for that conversation, I'll sign these papers and get them across to my lawyer." I reassure her.

I grab my bags and head to the garage, leaving my home for however long it will take till she takes me back.