Chapter 3 Waking Up

It's been a month...one whole month has gone by since the accident that would change the young heros life. The Todoroki family saw Shoto everyday. He was still on a ventilator and still looking as pale as ever. Every time Fuyumi would ask the doctors for updates on her little brother they would just look at her with a sad smile and say something along the lines of "he's stable" or "be patient, it'll take time". She didn't like to hear those words though. She wanted real answers. She wanted them to wake him up already.

Mr. Aizawa still wouldn't let class 1A visit, even though they begged to see their classmate. He told them that once he woke up they could see him. Truth is Aizawa wasn't sure if he wanted them to ever see Todoroki until he was back in class looking like his "normal self", normal now though seemed very far.

It was Sunday when Aizawa went to go visit Todoroki again in the hospital. As always the family was there (minus Endeavour who he hasn't seen in a month). Something seemed different though they looked...better.

"Aizawa!" called Fuyumi, "we have good news! the doctors said they believe it's time they start taking Todoroki out of his coma, he's showing signs of trying to breathe on his own!" this is the first time in a month Aizawa had seen the family this hopeful and even though him waking up will be hard, he knows it's at least one step closer to recovery.

"That's great to hear" said Aizawa. "They told us they're going to take him off the ventilator then slowly start to wake him up." Rei said also seeming more hopeful.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shoto POV

Everything felt...dull
.
Beep
.
Was there something crawling up his throat.
.
Beep
.
No he feels like he's choking...can't breathe
.
BeepBeepBeep
.
what is that annoying sound
.
"Quick get the oxygen mask! he may be able to breathe without the tube now but he still needs oxygen!" "got it!" ..."lower the dosage..."
.
Ah that's better now he can breathe...is that a light?...it's too bright
.
"There's our boy..."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The light was so bright...but he saw something or rather someone...mom? wait why is his nose so itchy...something feels numb.

"Shoto, come on bro wake up you can do it"

Shoto shot up but instantly regrated it and grabbed his abdomen. "ah...m-mom, Nat-Natsu" "hey sweety why don't we lie you down." He was happy his mother was there to help him lay down. But there were so many other people, it was overwhelming.

"Shoto welcome back...do you remember what happened? if you can't talk we understand it's normal for your throat to hurt after being put on a ventilator."

Ventilator? he didn't remember much just the rescue training and rocks then darkness. "tr-training...*cough*...and d-dar-darkness" "yes very good, you were involved in a rescue training accident, everyone else is okay however you sustain quite the injuries" oh... "can you tell me if you feel this." the doctor says as he uses his pen to poke Todorokis feet.

"feel...feel what?" Fuyumi ran out of the room crying she couldn't handle it anymore. Seeing Shoto so hurt and then not being able to feel his legs. She hoped and preyed that he would have feeling when he woke up...but she was wrong.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------In the waiting room sat Aizawa giving the family space as they went to great Todoroki when they woke him up. He noticed Fuyumi running down the hall crying and went after her. "hey what's wrong kid?"

She just kept crying. "What happened?? is Shoto okay?" "I don't know I...I couldn't see him like that he...he can't feel his legs."

Oh the worst they all feared had come true...Shoto Todoroki was paralyzed. He gave Fuyumi a hug to try and comfort her. "come on kid let's go see your family, we don't want to leave Shoto alone for too long." "okay."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"we'll continue to keep him on the NG tube as it'll be a while before he'll be eating solids once again...as for his paralysis we believe he could walk again. There are lots of great rehab facilities that can teach him to walk again, like I said before these things take time."

Fuyumi hated when the doctor said that. But Shoto was awake and alive that's all that mattered right now. She will do anything to help her baby brother in his recovery.

Shoto looked scared as they all sat in the room together. "what's up buddy?" Natsuo asked. "I'm still just trying to...trying to wrap m-my h-head around all...all this." "Shoto, sweety, all is going to be okay. We know this will all be quite the adjustment for everyone but we'll all push through, myself your brother and sister we'll be here for you every step of the way." "and...what about...d-dad?"
Rei's smile faded slightly not enough for Shoto to tell in his still delirious state but Fuyumi and Natsuo could tell. "let's just focus on you and your recovery right now okay?"

"okay."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End notes:

AHHH it's actually been a month...sorry to anyone who actually read this but thank you for reading and being patient :) I am once again procrastinating work...that's probs the only time I'll update...anywaysss have a good day or night :)

Next time road to recovery and probs the last chap :(