Chaptet 43

Juniper

She stood watch the entire night while the others slept. No one really talked about Aphrodite. Her little appearance made an impact on many of them. Only Percy and Zoe didn't feel anything. Well, Percy didn't get to talk to the love Goddess, so that's to be expected. She wonders why Zoe didn't feel any side effects.

Juniper poked the fire with a stray branch. Her mind filled with the face that has been constantly appearing. Aphrodite loves her. A thought she never would have expected. What made it even more mind-boggling is that she knew from when she was born. A time when Juniper was still part of another realm.

What makes her so special to be destined as a wife of Aphrodite herself? Hades, she never thought she would even have to ask this question. Is the world so skewed? Yet... Artume is taken by Annabeth. The girl certainly has a good soul. But, to be honest, Juniper isn't entirely sure whether a cheating Aphrodite would be a nice wife to have.

Beauty is one thing, but the heart is just as important. Juniper wants a loyal person, not a person who lays as frequently in another's bed like Aphrodite. Her brows furrow even further together, her hand gripping the stick a bit tighter. The fire crackled as she poked the burning logs.

"You know, taking watch is supposed to make us feel safe. You're so distracted, I could have killed you easily."

Juniper knew it was Thalia as she felt her long ago, watching for a moment. A deep breath left her as she threw the stick into the fire. "It is a good thing that you only watched me then. I don't want to upset- well, I'll keep that to myself."

"Aren't you ever knowing..." Thalia chuckled, lowering herself to sit next to Juniper. "Still thinking about what Aphrodite said?"

The dryad stared up at the fading stars. It was always comforting to have them shining down. One aspect of being in Artume's realms she very much likes. You always feel warm, being comforted, as long as the stars are there. It's how Artume looks out for her. Juniper is certain Bianca feels the same. The girl is sleeping so peacefully.

"Yes, I am. It's not every day you're shown what the future will hold for you."

"I know. It was a lot for me too," Thalia said, a breath leaving her. "What use is it to ponder on? Aphrodite was vague with everyone. I mean, fuck, she will personally meddle in mine. Whatever, I don't care. We went to save Annabeth and that's what I'll do."

"Right, perhaps you're right. Yet we always will face it, Thalia. This is Aphrodite's domain. Her opinion is basically law when it comes to love. Whether you're God or mortal, she knows."

Thalia frowned as she stared deeply into the fire. "Yeah, I know... But I forge my own destiny. They can kiss my ass if they think otherwise. I will not be forced into anything."

It makes Juniper smile a little. Such a fierce woman, whoever she saw will be lucky to have Thalia. "You're not alone in that sense, but fighting fate is never wise. It may just take away your happiness, don't forget that, Thalia."

Thalia nodded yet said nothing in response. It is not like any of them had premium knowledge of how things will go. Juniper thinks only she knows that Aphrodite is waiting. For her to probably say yes. And honestly? She would be a fool to say no. Who could say Aphrodite herself offered to date you, with the intent of truly loving you?

"Well, I guess we should-"

Mooo!

The two turned to the river where they saw a rather long body of a serpent with a cow's head. It was odd to see, yet the head made the creature look harmless.