the lucky one

The rest of the school year passed without much incident. Delia did well on her exams and, other than the stunt Potter and the other two dunces pulled that knocked Slytherin from winning the house cup, she enjoyed her remaining time. She was not looking forward to her summer. Of course, any party her mother or her friends' parents might throw would be welcome relief, it could only do so much to ease her troubles. The foursome exited the train together and said brief goodbyes and I'll writes before going their separate ways.
"Hello, my princess, how was school? Were your exams alright?"
Delia knew what her mother was really saying. Did you meet my expectations?
"Hi, mother, school was fine, and I did well on my exams. All top scores."
Vivian simply nodded at her daughter.
"I've had a gown made for you. Ms. Zabini is throwing a welcome home party for you all. You'll need to try it so I can have any adjustments made for you quickly."
Delia was a little excited she loved new gowns and parties with her friends.
"Let's go then, princess. We'll have to figure out what to do with your hair; it doesn't seem as healthy as it used to."
Delia's slight elation immediately disappeared; of course there would be some criticism, but she took it in stride as she always did. Sometimes she wanted to scream at her mother. It wasn't her fault that her dad had been locked away; she'd barely been born. It wouldn't matter though. Vivian Lightwood did not care. Personally, if Delia never saw her father again it would be too soon. But she was sure one day, she'd be able to see him without the pain that came with it, and that would be okay. Delia Lightwood knew where she was heading, and she was okay with it, but would her friends be?
They arrived back home to their manor Vivian immediately whisking her daughter up to her room to try her dress on. Delia did have to admit it was a gorgeous gown and right up her alley. It was deep green with floral appliques across the chest and onto the sleeves with a mermaid fit. Delia was in love, and it fit just perfectly. She knew it would, her mother was never anything less. She went to show her. "Perfect fit, my little princess. Now what about your hair? And do hurry, we can't be late." Vivian pierced her daughter with a look that she knew all too well. Delia moved back up the stairs as fast as she could and set to work. When she came back down again, her mother was dressed and waiting.
"You cut it close, Delia." No princess this time; Vivian was not happy with her. She'd have to tell Pansy to be ready later. The Lightwoods arrived at the Zabini manner on time and were greeted jovially by Ms. Zabini and Blaise. The latter escorted Delia to where they all were. She greeted Pansy and Draco while she could hear her mother greeting the other adults. She grabbed Pansy's hand under the table and squeezed three times. Pansy knew what it meant. Draco stared at his friend realizing he knew so little about her. She looked how she always did, regal and poised, but there was something underneath it he couldn't read.
The friends made mindless chatter and ate all the most decadent foods; Delia took it all in. It would be the last time she had much fun for a while. Vivian came and retrieved her daughter a few hours later. "Say your goodbyes, Delia, it's time to go."
The red-haired girl nodded, doing her best to keep it all together. She hugged Pansy first; Draco didn't miss the light taps the girls gave each other. "Blaise, you've been a delightful host, I shall eagerly await your next invitation." She hugged him next while he barked out a laugh.
"My dearest Draco, I shall miss you most ardently. Do keep in touch."
"Of course, darling, how could I not?" She hugged him, and almost didn't want to let him go. Draco thought she let go far too quickly. Vivian returned to take her daughter away. None of them missed how tightly her hand was on Delia's wrist.

Pansy showed up at the Lightwood manor around midnight. She'd brought all the potions and creams she could think of that might help her friend; she wished Delia would tell the boys about what happened, but she knew it would take time. It took almost four years before she'd been honest with Pansy; complaining made her seem weak, and Lightwoods were not weak. Vivian made sure she knew that. Delia sent Pansy back home around two in the morning; she couldn't risk her mother seeing her here. She was sat up in her massive bed, unable to lie down due to her back, and thinking about her life. Delia Lightwood was lucky. She was beautiful. She was wealthy. She was the epitome of perfection, but only on the surface. All she wanted to do was sleep and forget about what had just happened and had been happening to her, but she couldn't and it was eating her alive. She wanted Pansy to come back and oddly she wanted Draco there too. Delia shook Draco from her mind; on paper, they were great for each other, but she couldn't think about that. Delia was destined for greater things than being in love. She managed to find some peace before forcing her eyes closed and drifting off to sleep.