1.

21 years ago

You sent a thumbs up towards Taylor, who was on the podium, you behind her on the piano.

She looked back at you with a nervous grin, her blonde hair falling perfectly into place like dominoes. Her song that she wrote for her school's talent show, was her first song, called Lucky You.

She started playing her guitar and after thirteen seconds she took a deep breath and started singing, while you started playing the notes on the piano.

"There's a little girl in this little town"

"With a little too much heart to go around"

"Live forever, never say never"

"You can do better, that's what she says"

She looked directly at the crowd, and because this was a very upbeat song, you were basically playing the piano for your life.

"Mama named her Lucky on a starlit night"

"A rabbit foot in her pocket, she dances in spite of"

"The fact that she's different and yet she's the same"

"And she says do do do do do do do do do do do do do do"

"Do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do"

"Lucky you, lucky you"

"Do do do do do do do do do do"

Taylor's fingers moved fluently over the strings of the guitar and she sang her heart out.

"She sings her little song"

"She walks a long a little"

"Halfway headed for the skies"

"Left to travel, lives they unravel"

"Mind over matter, that's what she says"

After she finished the song, the crowd started clapping and Taylor grinned, bowing for them, her guitar in one hand and both arms spread, legs against each other and her head lowered. Your best friend stood like that for a few seconds and then looked up again, smirking.

I'm so happy for her You thought and you smiled as you looked at her from the back of the podium.

You and Taylor walked backstage and as soon as the curtains closed, Taylor flew into your arms "You were amazing, [Y/N]!" You chuckled and hugged her "You did most of it! I'm so proud of you, Tay!" You answered her and smiled into her neck.

Taylor smiled at her best friend "One day I'll be living in the big old city" She said confidently.

"You will, Tay, you will" You answered her.

Three years later

"You did WHAT!?" Almost everyone in the cafeteria looked at you, while you looked at Taylor, eyes wide, "I- I released an album?" She answered carefully. "Oh my god..." You whispered

"On Spotify too?"

"Well yes, but-"

"Nuh-uh! Sh!" You shushed her and grabbed your phone, opening Spotify "Name?" You asked

"T-Taylor Swift?" Taylor looked at you nervously.

"Is that a fucking question?"

"No?"

You typed in the name of the album and clicked play "Country, I see you!" You listened for a few minutes.

"I'm so fucking proud of you" You said with a serious voice. "R-really?" She asked you and you saw her smile "Really."

Present time

You let yourself fall onto your couch, tired. You were studying to be a vet, plus working in the supermarket to be able to pay for your apartment on minimum wage. It was exhausting.

You turned on your television, the news coming up.

"Taylor Swift's The Era's Tour has made over one billion dollars." You groaned and turned off the television. "She's living in the big old city alright" You sighed.

She had not even tried to contact you after you went to college. You tried not to acknowledge it, but it kind of hurt

We were best friends, I thought I had her figured out...

"No, [Y/N], let her go." You scolded yourself and you opened your books.

Tomorrow, you had a shadowing internship with one of the best vets in America. Studying is your priority right now.