3. The Festival of the Clouds, Two Years Ago

The capital grounds are usually pretty barren, but as we pass through the archway, we see a multitude of vendors setting up their carts and booths for the imminent crowd. The excitement is palpable as massive carts of food, drinks, and fine goods are being wheeled up to small tents placed as far as the eye can see. Trolleys from the upper parts of the mountain are coming down with jewels and metal shimmering in the sunlight.

The Festival of the Clouds has always been held in the center of Cloudridge, between Snowvein and Kridar. Cloudridge's central capital, Cirrus, serves as a general gathering spot for the different clans. Cirrus is mostly empty, save for town council meetings and bigger celebrations. All the common gathering places such as pubs, shops, and restaurants are located throughout the villages rather than within the confines of the capital.

But, during these events, this empty capital is transformed. Merchants line the streets with tents, selling artisan goods such as jewelry, clothing, instruments, and more. Food vendors serve local delicacies, with incredible aromas of spices and herbs wafting through the air. The festival's claim to fame is the ability to travel the world in a single loop.

As we make our way through the streets, people are placing up massive banners made up of a tapestry of greens and blues with gold snowflakes laced throughout. Flags of the same material can also be found strung between lampposts and hanging off tents. Near the stage, which faces out towards all of the food stalls and vendors, is a pile of fireworks lazily hidden with a large burlap sheet. Though the four of us have been going to the celebrations for years, we still always gaze in wonder, like a child witnessing their first snowfall.

After a few moments of taking it all in, we decide to make our way over to the stage, where we've been told we'll meet one of the festival's coordinators, Eudora. Every year, the festival leaders make a call for volunteers to help with any prep work that needs to be done on the day of the festival, such as hanging banners or constructing temporary food stalls. Unfortunately, the missive came with no more information other than,

"Come by the stage before the festival begins. Thanks."

- Eudora

We've met Eudora a couple of times, but never for longer than a couple of moments before she shuffles off to handle some unknown task. She's a stout, friendly woman that's most recently been appointed the head of the festival committee after a few decorated years of service as a coordinator. In those brief moments that she flits by, you can always recognize Eudora by her luminescent purple clipboard and booming voice shouting orders to volunteers and committee members shuffling throughout the grounds.

You don't want to piss off Eudora.

The stage is a sight to see, with the wooden dais a few feet off of the ground and set into a shallow cave carved into the mountain. This cave must be at least fifty feet tall and towers over us as we approach. The heavy blue curtain is mysteriously attached to the top lip of the cave, dusting slightly onto the planks below.

We begin our search for Eudora and realize that she's not yet arrived. We plop down on the ground next to the stage, soaking in a few brief moments of respite before the real work begins. Hogli and Bera walk up a set of nearby steps and sit on the edge next to us with their dangling their feet down, engaging in their tradition of sibling squabbles.

Because Lunari are famously restless, we always try to come armed with our creative tools, if we can. I open my bag and dig around for my notebook. Sheets of paper lined with notes fly out, catching the wind as I quickly snatch them out of the air. I stuff the paper back in my bag, hoping Shalia wasn't able to get a good look. As I sit, I pull my knees almost up to my chest and lean the notebook on my thighs. Shalia giggles and reaches into an equally chaotic bag, pulling out a small canvas, a paintbrush, and a compact of miniature watercolor paints.