Chapter 2- The Party

Itachi

Itachi smoothed his yukata down with his hands. He'd spent hours ironing it and it still had wrinkles. How was it that the most talented ninja in his family couldn't operate an iron? Today was his mother's birthday party and she'd requested he come dressed in his clan formal wear. He hoped she wouldn't criticize him for its condition.

All the Clan leaders and elders celebrated their birthdays publicly. He'd walked past the men and women setting up booths yesterday, and this morning, on his way to the training fields. They'd strung lights and set up a stage for a band so he guessed it would be a formal event. It was no matter. He hadn't been told to have a date, so he assumed he'd be escorting his mother for the evening.

One final look in the mirror and he set off for whatever torture his mother had planned for her sons this year. People who thought being in ANBU was difficult should try being the heir to the Uchiha Clan and Mikoto's son.

_________________________________________________________

Sakura

Sakura turned and looked over her shoulder. Pink waves rested on the shoulders of her yukata contrasting against the red and blending in with the cherry blossoms. Her hair had gotten a bit long, she'd been meaning to get a trim and hadn't found the time.

Fortunately, Tsunade had filled her in on what she'd missed. She was invited to Mikoto-san's birthday party, as Mikoto's special guest. She had no idea what that meant, other than it was a very high honor and likely would anger more than a few Uchiha women for being left out.

As she applied her makeup she wondered what the party would be like. She hadn't attended many Uchiha functions, partly to avoid Sasuke and partly because she was busy between her hospital work and Tsunade's training. Tonight would be a welcome reprieve for her. Mikoto seemed kind enough and she hadn't even had the bother of finding an escort like she had when she attended Neji's birthday. Now that Naruto was engaged to Hinata she couldn't rely on him. And she certainly wasn't going to ask Sai or Kakashi.

It struck her as odd that the Uchiha's were less formal about expecting escorts than the Hyuga's. But she dismissed it, attributing it to Mikoto's desire to create a more moderate attitude within the clan. Out with the old and in with the new.

________________________________________________________________________________

Itachi

Itachi met his mother on the porch of her home. She was stunning in her Uchiha yukata, navy blue with a red obi. Her geta sandals, trimmed in silver, waited at the steps.

"Good evening Mother. Happy birthday." He held his arm out to her expecting her to loop hers into it. As a widow, her eldest son would escort her to the formal party. He'd be her constant companion all evening, sitting with her, dancing with her, and making sure she didn't want for anything.

"Good evening Itachi." Mikoto tipped up on her toes and kissed him lightly on the cheek. "Thank you, but you won't be escorting me tonight. Sasuke will."

Itachi wrinkled his brow, stunned by her words. "Mother?"

"Sakura! I'm delighted you could join us!" Mikoto greeted Sakura warmly with a hug. "I've been so excited to introduce Tsunade's apprentice to the clan."

"Thank you, Mikoto." Sakura smiled sweetly at Mikoto as she returned her greeting.

She really was a beautiful kunoichi. Itachi admired her as she exchanged greetings and small talk with his mother. Why hadn't his brother ever spoken of her? Itachi smirked, looking over his shoulder to hide it from his mother, because the answer was easy. Beautiful or not, she wasn't an Uchiha.