Chapter one

«hey miss, when will I get my smoothie?» A middle-aged man seated at the bar complains.

«Give me a second!» I shout out from the machine. Today, the cafe is loaded and it was hard for just two employees to handle all those people and their fucking complicated ass-commands.

«Um... I got a cherry coke sorbet and two banana smoothies for table six.» I handed the order to my coworker Steven since it was his turn to serve the tables.

«Okay, table 3 is still waiting though.» He points out.

«yeah well, I'm trying.» I put the sugar in a coffee cup, and go back to the smoothie machine.

«hey miss I've been waiting for 15 minutes already, can you give me my goddamn smoothie.» the old man complains again, getting on my last nerve.

I turn around and face him, a nice fake smile plastered on my face, I put my hands on the bar counter. «Listen ''sir'', maybe you are used to having people at your feet at home delivering you anything you ask for the second you ask for it, but this is a public cafe and I'm not a fucking machine so please shut the hell up and wait for your damn smoothie like everyone else.» I go back to work ignoring the dumbfounded look on his face, I really don't have the time for this.

«Someone's in a mood.» Steven laughs, coming back with empty trays.

«Let's just get breakfast over with, should we?» I have a lot of things to do after work, I've got to go grocery shopping, stop at the pharmacy, and drop my little brother Brandon at his friend's house.

Summer break my ass.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

«You'd be okay from here right?» I stop at the front door of Brandon's friend, checking a last time before leaving.

«Loryyy I'm not a little kid anymore.» He whines. «I'll call Tory to pick me up tomorrow.»

«Okay well... Have fun then little chipmunk.» I ruffle his hair and he chuckles trying to get me to stop.

«Okay, bye now.» he pushes me out.

«I get it, I'll go, bye» I flash him a warm smile that he returns before closing the door.

I sigh, finally finishing my task list for the day, not knowing what to do with my free time and not wanting to go home just yet, I decide to take a walk in the park. I end up sitting on a bench, looking at Instagram reels of girls with a perfect life that I could never have complaining about their daddy not wanting to buy them a yacht or about the small size of their indoor pool.

Most kids nowadays have a simple life, food on the table every night, a cozy home, a loving dad... I got a life where I had to work to eat, a sick mom to take care of, and for my dad well... He quit being a dad a long time ago. As long as I can remember it always was me and Tory taking care of Mom and Brandon, even before her illness we still had to make sure she ate and slept, wasn't enough to keep her healthy nonetheless.

Tory and I are twins, well... Fake twins, you get it. She's older by 5 minutes and never misses a chance to remind me of it, we've never been especially close, mostly because of our very different personalities. Tory is straightforward, savage, and confident, she's never afraid to speak her mind without thinking of the consequences meanwhile I'm considered the quiet, calm twin. But even with all our differences, we always had this kind of mutual understanding, it's like an unspoken rule that we had each other's back. I guess that coming to the world with someone creates a unique bond with that person, but let's be honest if Tory knew what life she was getting herself into before she was born she would have strangled herself with the umbilical cord, and I sure would have done it too.