2.2 - strike first

"Bye bye, Danielle

"Bye bye, Danielle."

Later that night, Scarlet could be found rummaging around her closet. The girl hardly owned any decent clothes, and for some reason, she really wanted to make a good first impression on Miguel's family.

After finally deciding on an outfit, and successfully avoiding her father, the young teen hurried across the complex to Miguel's door.

Scarlet knocked as she waited nervously for the someone to open up. Based on past experiences, parents were usually not fond of her.

The door quickly opened to reveal a gorgeous woman. "Oh! You must be Scarlet!" She cheerfully spoke as she eyed the girl in awe, "You are just beautiful!"

Scarlet smiled widely about to speak before a familiar voice beat her to it, "Mom, please. Leave her alone." Miguel spoke looking embarrassed. An older woman soon joined the two at the door, peering out at Scarlet.

"The boy wasn't lying when he said she was pretty." The older woman muttered looking at Miguel's mother.

The woman merely nodded, as Miguel's face turned a shade of red.

"Excuse them. Come in!" The boy insisted, embarrassed.

"Thank you." Scarlet smiled politely, as the two women stepped aside, the girl realized she didn't know either of their names.

"I'm Carmen, and this is my mother, Rose-" The woman spoke, as if she had read her mind, before being abruptly cut off. "Nonsense. Just call me Yaya." The older woman spoke.

"Please, make yourself at home dear. Dinner should be ready in about an hour." Carmen continued sending a look to Yaya.

"Want to go to my room?" Miguel asked, before either of his family members could steal the girl away.

Scarlet smiled, ignoring the suggestive looks shot at the two before following him to his room.

"Your family is beautiful." The girl commented, remembering the motherly look Carmen had immediately given her.

Miguel gave her a wide smile, the two sitting on the bed, "So you know what my family's like, tell me about yours." He insisted.

Scarlet froze, she wasn't ready to tell the boy about her dad, they had just met.

"Theres not much to tell. My mom passed away during birth and I live with my dad." She stated as she regained her composure.