Chapter Two

Two pairs of hands were clamped on either of Palya's arms. One set belonged to a god with a round, angelic face and short, curly hair. A god with a narrow jaw and a cleft on his chin owned the other.

Their grips were firm but not bruising, a consideration that Palya was thankful for. But it didn't make up for the fact that they were holding her captive like a wanted criminal. To make matters worse, some people had noticed the commotion in the alley and had begun to make their way in.

Palya's throat constricted as she tried to process what was going on.

"What's happening?" she asked, fighting to break free. However, she couldn't shake the gods off even after using all her strength. "Why are you restraining me?"

Her struggling increased when Iloyu, who had paused in surprise, finally sprung into action. He rushed forward and pulled a dagger from somewhere beneath his robe. But before he could raise the weapon and aim it at anybody's throat, the god with the cleft chin had already reached out and grabbed his wrist, earning a gasp from the onlookers.

This did not deter Iloyu. His jaw tensed. His nostrils flared as he breathed.

"Let her go."

The god he'd tried to threaten raised one eyebrow. The corner of his mouth rose, proving just how unbothered he was by Iloyu's simmering anger. Perhaps as a deity, he found the threats of mortal men hilarious more than anything else.

"And who are you?" the god asked.

"Me?" Iloyu retorted. He kept his dagger raised high, something that Palya preferred he remedy immediately. "I didn't hear you introducing yourself."

The goddess, who'd ordered her capture, huffed. When Palya turned to her, she saw that the female deity was equally amused by Iloyu's chivalrous display. However, and maybe because of the growing crowd at the alley entrance, she also seemed a tad more irritated than her two companions.

"How insolent," she said, her eyes darting to the fearful onlookers before returning to the task at hand. She focused on Iloyu, who responded to her attention with a glare that would make weaker men piss in their loose pants.

That's when Palya decided to intervene before things got out of hand.

"He's a visitor, nothing more," she said, interrupting whatever Iloyu had planned to retaliate with. "The long journey must have tested his temper. Please be lenient with him."

Despite her own fear, Palya was determined to get Iloyu home alive at all costs. She'd already offended him and his family by dissolving their engagement, even though she couldn't do anything about it. Getting him killed after becoming a goddess would surely cause a war between their villages.

Perhaps sensing that she, too, wished to avoid chaos and bloodshed in front of other people, the goddess relented. She gestured for her fellow god to release Iloyu, which drew a sigh of relief from Palya and the crowd. Iloyu wrenched his hand away as soon as it was free, but he didn't step back.

"To answer his question," the goddess said loudly enough for everyone to hear, "I am Magulana, the sky-goddess, keeper of flames, and high queen of the seasons. The man to your right is Tungi, the earth-god, bringer of good harvests, and guardian of all fauna. The man on your left is Ugut, the water-god, creator of storms, and prince of the hundred seas."

Around three dozen people had gathered near the alley now, but none dared venture beyond three feet of the entrance. And now that they knew they were in the presence of gods, they even retreated. Those in front bowed their heads out of fear and reverence, influencing those behind them to do the same.