Chapter 2

Landon and I sat across from one another in companiable silence, both taking in the silence. His golden eyes watched me, causing me to shiver pleasantly. 

"So tell me... What do you do for work?" He asks curiously. 

"I'm a freelance web designer," I tell him with a small smile. "Nothing too fancy, I just like being my own boss for once," I add to that. It earns me a sexy smirk from the Not-stranger across from me. 

"I get that more than you ever know. That's why I opened my own bar." The reply gave me the insight that they were more alike than I thought. I began to slowly open up to him. 

"I can't imagine having to do inventory for a bar though. Why'd you decide on a club  of all things?" I ask in morbid curiosity. 

Landon shrugs. "Shifters Don't normally get drunk on human wine so ours is more potent. There's more revenue for it as well. And what do drunk people do when inebriated? Drink more and dance.  That's why. Admission fees, ladies nights and appetizers are just part of a marketing strategy. Single Men are more apt to spend money if they think there's a chance of getting laid," he shrugs bluntly. 

He wasn't wrong there. I'd seen it several times. Smart business marketing and execution all in one and it colored me impressed. 

The smell of our coffees had me smiling softly to myself as I inhaled my comfort scent. 

"So it draws in men, but also creeps, too," I point out, remembering what had happened to me last night. 

"I try to keep an eye out on my patrons in the event that something similar to your case happens... I do apologize that you had a negative experience on behalf of my establishment," Landon says with an earnest look of regret on his face. 

"I don't blame you," I reply honestly. And I didn't blame him one bit. He was the owner of the establishment, but even he couldn't control everyone who came in and out of his business. Especially not with crowds like were there the night prior. It'd be too much for any one person. 

"I almost wish you would. But I got there in time. To be fair, I saw them watching you shortly after you arrived and something just didn't sit right with  me. I'm glad I trusted my gut," Landon says quietly. 

As if I could've hoped to fight off a shifter anyways. Landon, being an Alpha male (I could tell) made him even more threatening than any normal shifter. 

Shifters had easily three times the strength of any fit human male. Alpha's were even stronger, and even with my curvy size 9 body being 145 pounds was absolutely nothing for them. If Landon had not come when he did, I would've been abducted in that dank, musty alley, and I knew it.

"Thank you. For last night, I mean. If you hadn't been there-" 

Landon cuts me off. "I did what any real man would've done." 

"No, not really. A lot of people would have been afraid to be involved," I point out. He nods at that. "Besides, I owe you a favor now. So let me know what and when you want me to pay up. I'll be true to my word," I add. 

"No, you don't need to pay me back," he shakes his head. Landon, I concluded, was a nice guy. But there was something in his eyes. A hidden pain. It intrigued me. 

"Then how about this... You can call me if you ever need anything. I'll leave it up to you. I don't really have many friends so I'm alone often. I'll likely be moving as soon as I can find a buyer for my house. I don't want to be there after last night," I admit. 

"I can help with that. I have a friend who is a Real Estate agent who can sell a cardboard box," Landon half jokes. "I'll give him your details," he adds after a chuckle at his own joke. 

I give an appreciative grin. "Sure, I'll wait for his call then." 

It went quiet for a minute while we sipped our drinks. it was harmonious and I felt a camaraderie with the man.  Like a part of my soul seemed to recognize his own. And after a few moments, I realized I was staring at him. 

His golden eyes darkened slightly with an unnamable emotion. I wanted to know what it was, but instead I cleared my throat. 

"I've got to get going soon. My ex left the mother of all messes in the house I own and I left Melanie to clean it alone..." I trail off as he shifts in his seat, almost as if not wanting the time we were spending together to end. 

"Do you mind if I stay in contact?" Landon asks. I shake my head, oddly enough enthused at the idea. 

"Not really. I kind of like that idea actually," I reply softly. 

I can see the shifter flash suddenly behind Landon's eyes, not knowing really what that meant, but finding it oddly comforting. A comforted feeling settles over me as his scent changes slightly in strength, as if he was struggling to keep the beast within at bay. 

No wonder my ex had found shifters to be so  interesting, I almost didn't blame him. Almost. 

But some things were unforgivable. 

His actions, the day before we were to be married, signified that he did not love nor respect me. And I knew I was worth so much more. But still, why was I not heartbroken? I thought what we had had was love. But lost love is supposed to hurt, and instead I felt numb to it all. 

I slowly stand from the table, noting the way Landon's eyes followed my every movement. The dragon was behind those eyes, but instead of scaring me, it sent a thrill down my spine. 

"Thanks for the coffee. We should do it again some time," I offer him a small smile as I grab my wallet and keys. Landon chuckles. 

"I'll take you up on that offer," he decides, grabbing his now empty cup of coffee. 

With a happy hum, the man in question walks me to my car. 

Sure bad things had happened, but something told me that the man  next to me was somehow going to play a part in my future, but instead of scaring me, the thought excited me. 

"I'll see you later. There will be a next time, right?" he asks. 

I nod, happy he was checking. "Yeah. And thank you for what you did last night. I really appreciate everything," I tell him honestly. Landon just shrugs.

"It was the right thing to do. I have a sister too... I imagine what would have happened if it was her," he admits. 

That makes my heart flutter for reasons I wasn't too sure of. 

"Anyways, get home safe," Landon tells me with a soft smirk on his face. I nod and shut my car door, starting it up. When I pull away, he finally gets into his own, a black truck with golden streaks down the side. 

Next, I head to the hardware store. It was time to change the locks on the house. But I knew that locks only went so far as to stopping someone so I also grabbed cameras and a security pad, opting to have Melanie install them later. 

I wasn't too good with a drill, but my friend sure was. 

After that, I headed home, thinking about how my coffee meet and greet went with Landon. 

I couldn't put my finger on it but something was different about him and I was intrigued in ways I shouldn't have been this soon after splitting from my ex. 

When I got back, Melanie waited for me in a newly clean house, her eyes brimming with barely concealed curiosity.

"How'd it go?" She asks. 

I grin lightly at her. "Pretty good actually. Landon is a gentleman. He mostly wanted to check on me and make sure everything was okay after last night," I admit, placing the objects on the counter. 

"See? Now aren't you glad you went?" 

Was I? Yes, yes i definitely was.