Chapter 1

We've been in the safe haven for 15 years but everything is changing. My mother Luxury isn't the same. I've never met my father, Newt he died 3 months before I was born due to the virus. People always ask me am I sad about my father's death, I don't know what to say to that because I never met him and I have a father. My dad aka my mother's husband, Minho is his name. He isn't my biological father but he's basically my father. My dad's best friend, Thomas he framed this letter that my father gave to him before his death the letter says,
Dear Thomas this is the first letter I can remember writing. Obviously I don't know if I wrote any before the maze, but even if it's not my first it's likely to be my last. I want you to know that I'm not scared, of dying anyway, it's more forgetting. It's losing myself to this virus, that's what scares me. So every night I've been saying their names out loud, Alby, Winston, chuck. I just repeat them over and over like a prayer, and it all comes flooding back. Just like the little things like where the sun used to hit the glade at the perfect moment right before it slipped beneath the walls. And I remember the taste of Frypans stew. I never thought I would miss that stuff so much. And I remember you. From the first day you came up in the box. Just a scared little greenie that couldn't even remember his own name. But from that moment you ran into the maze, I knew I would follow you anywhere and I have we all have. If I could do it all over again I would. And I wouldn't change a thing. And my hope for you, when you're looking back years from now, you'll be able to say the same. The futures in your hands, Tommy. I know you'll find a way to do what's right. You always have. Take care of everyone for me. And take care of yourself. You deserve to be happy. Thank you for being my friend.
Goodbye mate, -Newt.
They have all told me there experiences in the maze and now they'll never ever let it happen again. Something different from the maze is happening though. Vince our leader has started a thing called the hunger games. Vince explained
"The hunger games is something to remember the past and the sacrifice it took to get us here, to remember the sacrifices we well continue to do it. No we are not doing the maze but since we created a good enough sense of technology in the capital we have decided to spilt all the mazes into districts. Every year every child from the age of 12-18 years we'll be put into a draw of females and males. One boy and one girl we'll be put into an arena that we have made, to fight to the death. The victor gets to live a life of safety and wealthiness. The reaping of tributes for the games we'll be tomorrow at council. Other children are able to volunteer for the replacement of the tribute that was chosen."
"NEWELLA!" My mother calls. I know this is bad because she only says my full name when something is wrong.
"Mother what is this." I ask.
"I don't know, Minho get Thomas, Brenda, Sonya, Harriet, Aris, Gally, and Frypan immediately!"
"There kids?" He asks.
"Yes them to." My mother replies.
"Ella get tea started." My mom says to me.
"Ok." I reply. I calmed down a bit because my mother didn't use my full name, so this can't be that serious right? I pour some water into the kettle and set it on the stove. Everyone comes through the door.
"Mary and chuck go with Ella." Thomas says.
"You to Rachel and Elliott ." Aris says.
They all come and sit with me. Mary and chucks parents are Brenda and Thomas. Rachel and Elliott  are harriet and Aris's kids. Jeff is Gally's and Melissa's son. I'm a bit older than them just because I was born right when the safe haven started.
"Do you guys know what's happening?" I ask.
"Ya the hunger games." Rachel replies.
"Ok chuck is the only one that won't be in the draw because he's ten, Rachel you'll be in your thirteen, and Jeff and Mary you are both twelve so you'll be in, and Elliott you'll be in your fourteen" I say.
I can't hear what the adults are talking about but Frypan and Sonya look kind of relaxed, I think it's because they just had a baby together and they have plenty of years before there baby Winnie has to go in the draw.
"Ella and Elliott come here." Minho says.
"You guys we'll probably be the ones with the highest chance of getting picked, we just got an update and the older you are is more of the chance you'll get chosen." Frypan tells us.