6: Entangled Enlightenment

"Erysichthon?" Elle restated, hoping she misheard her.

Mulan gave a small nod of her head. Peter meanwhile stood between them confused, "Just what is that?"

"It's an enchanted mirror," Elle explained to Peter. 

Mulan elaborated, "Erysichthon is a mirror created by the god Erebus with the purpose of aiding a mortal tyrant king named Kasen to bring about the Dark Ages long ago. He used the mirror's power to seal away his enemies into the mirror dimension. It was a clean way of disposing them and from there he was able to bring out their mirror selves, obedient and deadly. If it weren't for the gods, the Dark Ages would have lasted forever."

"It has unspeakable power," Elle lowered her gaze, "In the wrong hands, it can be used for great evil."

"In any case, we need to be prepared for whatever evil is coming our way," Peter said to both women, "And keep an eye on Jasper and his friends."

 "We should try to keep a low profile," Elle stated, "If whoever is doing this is in town, we can't let them figure out what we're up to. Tomorrow, I'll take a look around town to see if I can figure out anything."

Mulan dismissed herself for the evening leaving the couple in the kitchen. Elle rested her head on the kitchen counter. Peter took the seat beside her and rested his head in his hand, "What's on your mind, love?"

"Everything," Elle stated flatly, "It's been peaceful these past eighteen years. Do you really think we're ready to enter back into the chaos?"

Peter stoked her hair, "It's what heroes do, love. No matter what we'll rise up against any threats."

Elle sighed, "I guess we were fortunate enough so far. A little action might even do us some good."

Peter kissed her forehead, "There's my Elle. I'm going to wash up for the night. We'll go see Jasper tomorrow to discharge him."

Elle ginned at him, "That sounds good. I'll just finish up down here and come up to join you."

"Don't be too long," Peter said concerned.

"I won't," Elle promised.  

As everyone got ready for the night, Elle was in the kitchen cleaning up when she heard a bird chirping. Remembering when she was a bird herself, she opened the window, "Hello, little friend. What brings you to our humble home?"

The blue bird bit her shirt and Elle frowned, "Hey, you're going to create a hole if you keep doing that."

It tugged towards the front door. Elle raised an eyebrow. Just what was this bird doing? She decided to follow it through the street. It stopped in front of the pub. It was dark and Elle crossed her hands as the bird kept flying into the door.

"You know this pub isn't for birds," Elle said to it, "The restaurant is closed. Besides, what could you possibly want there?"

The bird ignored her and continued to hit it. Elle swiped it and ducked behind a large tree. Behind it was a security camera with a red blinking light that had turned in their direction upon sensing movement. 

"You're going to get us into trouble," Elle sighed at the bird trying to escape her grasp.

It was odd to her. No normal bird would do this. This made Elle wonder if this had any connection to the craziness that was going on in the town. She let out a deep breath, "Fine. If you really want to go inside, I guess I'll help you. But we're going have to do things my way."

The bird gave a happy chirp. 

"First, how about you fly to distract the camera?"

The bird ruffled its feathers in opposition. Elle looked at the seemingly terrified creature and then in the direction of the security camera, "Someone's a little camera shy."