Dinner at the Drosselmeyers

I have decided to name the maid working for the Drosselmeyers Maria, as her name is not mentioned anywhere.

I hope you enjoy!

~~~~~~~

As Clara descends the stairs and enters the parlour, the doorbell rings.

Anticipation filled the room as Maria went to open the door. Grandfather Drosselmeyer looks at his pocket watch and puts it away again. Eric is right on time.

Aunt Elizabeth gives Clara a smile and says, "You see Uncle, he's not so bad."

"Hmm... The night is still young,"

Eric is escorted into the parlour by Maria who leaves quickly after.

"Eric! We're so glad you made it," Aunt Elizabeth starts and Eric smiles warmly.

"Yes, well. Let us move to the dining room before the dinner gets cold," Grandfather states.

Aunt Elizabeth moves to grab her uncle's arm to be escorted and gives Clara a wink as they exit the parlour followed by an eager Tommy. Eric waits as Clara approaches him.

"You look lovely," he smiles.

"And you," She smiles as she grabs his arm.

They enter the dining room and move to their seats on her grandfather's left. Grandfather at the head of the table with Aunt Elizabeth on his right and Tommy next to her. As they go to sit down, Eric pulls out Clara's chair and lets her sit before moving to sit on her left.

Grandfather Drosselmeyer doesn't say anything but everyone can tell he thinks Eric is behaving better than earlier. The food is placed on the table.

"Right. Let us say grace," Grandfather holds out his hands and everyone follows suit, grabbing each other's hands for the prayer, "Amen."

Everyone starts dishing up and Aunt Elizabeth starts, "Eric, I am delighted to know you are doing well. How is Major Mint and Captain Candy doing?" She gives both Eric and Clara a small sly smile.

"They are a bit busy but they are well. Bickering as ever," he states.

"Aah, a military man, I see," Grandfather interjects and Aunt Elizabeth smiles behind her napkin.

"Yes, you could say that," Eric states thoughtfully.

"What division are you in?"

"Well," Eric starts, " I started with basic hand-to-hand combat training when I was about 8 years old. I then later moved to weapons training and infantry around the ages of 11 and 16."

Clara looks at him startled. It makes sense for the monarchy to partake in military training, it happens all over the world but she's never heard of someone starting at such a young age.

Grandfather hums, "What is your rank?"

"I'm a General," Eric smiles.

"Aren't you too young to be a General?" Tommy suddenly asks and everyone turns to him.

"Maybe," Eric replies.

"But he worked very hard and his parents are very proud of him," Elizabeth inserts, "Eric is also versed in history and arts, aren't you dear?"

"You flatter me Elizabeth," Eric smiles politely.

"His favourite Ballet is Swan Lake by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky," Elizabeth says to her uncle.

"Interesting. Not many people know about such promising composers,"

"He's from my country. The king and queen were very fond of his compositions and often had him come to the palace to perform for everyone. He was later sent to St. Petersburg to further his music studies."

"A monarchy that sees potential and supports their people. They were wonderful rulers," Elizabeth says softly.

"They sound like wonderful people," Clara says with a soft smile, putting her hand on his forearm in support.

"They were," Eric says sadly, looking at his plate.

"Where did you say you were from?"

"Parthenia," Eric looks up at Clara and then her grandfather, "It is very beautiful. You are welcome to visit. My home is open to you, as you have opened yours to me."

"It really is a wonderful place. The music is lively and the scenery looks like a painting," Elizabeth says dreamily.

"Can I try on a uniform when we visit?" Tommy asks between bites.

"Of course," Eric chuckles.

"And where is Partheia? I don't recall ever hearing of such a place," Grandfather enquires.

"That, dear Uncle, is difficult to describe. It would be better if you visited. The journey is not a very long one either."

Clara looks at her aunt with wide eyes and glances at Eric who just smiles.

"Clara would love it there," Elizabeth continues, with a subtle wink in her direction.

"Oh, please Grandfather. It would be such a wonderful opportunity to learn," Clara speaks.

"I think it would be a wonderful idea. Eric could show you around. He knows all of the best bakeries and no one knows the history of the country like him," Elizabeth tries to convince her uncle.

"We'll see," He grunts and continues eating.

***

When everyone had finished eating, they decided to move back to the parlour to sit in front of the fireplace.

"And what does your parents do?" Grandfather starts again.

"Eric's father was a General and his mother was a wonderful artist," Elizabeth says, "I met them many years ago when Eric was 5 years old. He was such a dapper young boy. His parents were kind people."

Grandfather looks a bit uncomfortable but takes Elizabeth's word for it.

Not long after, Eric takes his leave with the promise of seeing Clara again the next day.

"Uncle, don't you think that Eric would make a wonderful match for Clara? He is a kind young man, with a good job," Elizabeth says when Clara and Tommy retire for the night.

"She still has a lot to learn," He says.

"Exactly, she will be granted the opportunity to see a new country and live a life outside of this house. He will look after her. You don't need to worry. And you can always visit if you do worry. She likes him as well. Did you see the way they looked at each other?"

"I did, and I still don't think it is a good idea. You like to tell fantastical stories about your travels and fill her head with all sorts of nonsense,"

"If you grant her this, she can live out her dream," Elizabeth reasons, "just think about it."

"It's late," he says exasperated, "we'll discuss this in the morning," and walks out of the parlour.

Elizabeth smiles to herself, the seed has been planted.