Juliette

"Hello?" I answered the phone cautiously.

"WHERE IS MY BOY!?" The voice on the other end sounded frantic and demanding.

"Nathan is with me. We are at the park," I replied, trying to keep my tone steady.

"Oh... ok," came the response before the call was abruptly ended.

Ugh, he never calls unless I am with my brother. Whatever, I never needed him anyway. The most important thing is that Nathan is happy.

I found a bench and sat down, only to realize it was burning hot – just my luck.

"Sis!" I heard a child's voice, around 6 or 7 years old. I turned around to see Nathan, a bundle of joy, with a new friend. "Look, this is Lina! My new friend!" Nathan said with the biggest smile on his face.

"Well, that is great. Enchantée Lina, my name is Juliette. Why don't you both continue playing? I wouldn't want to ruin all the fun, would I now?" I said, trying to be welcoming.

"No! No! You never ruin the fun!" Nathan said, his voice carrying a slight hurt. Then suddenly, the phone rang again.

"Hello?"

"BRING NATHAN HOME NOW!"

"Dad... we just arrived at the park. I can't just bring him home."

"I DON'T CARE! HE IS MY CHILD, MY LITTLE BOY! YOU ARE JUST A MISTAKE! YOU KNOW WHAT? I AM KICKING YOU OUT, GO FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE TO LIVE!" I sighed. I expected this.

"Fine. But I'm bringing Nathan with me."

"What did you just say?"

"I am taking him with me."

"OH, YOU LITTLE-" I hung up.

Sigh...

"Nathan, we are going home, alright?" I said to him, hoping he wouldn't feel sad.

"But whyyyyyyyyyy?" he asked.

"I am sorry, but father said that we need to move out," I replied, hoping to shield him from any trauma.

"What?... W-why?" he asked (wow foreshadowing going hard)

"I will explain everything later, alright? I promise." I looked to the side and saw Lina looking at us awkwardly. "Um, sweetie... where are your parents?"

"They aren't here right now. I am with my cousin," she said in a soft tone. "Alright then, go see him. We are heading out now, okay? See you next Saturday," I said, trying to be as gentle as possible.

"O-ok, see you next Saturday, Nathan," Lina said as she ran back towards a guy who was sitting, seemingly scrolling through his phone until he noticed that she was heading in his direction. He turned his attention to her, and Lina told him something. He nodded and stood up, holding the 8-year-old's hand as they went to the parking lot.

"lets go now, alright?" I say gently as I hold Nathans hand.