Life definitely isn't a cakewalk

Yes, I'm here with another modern AU, yay! I have no idea where the idea came from and at this point, I'm too afraid to ask. As always, I love your feedback. Also, the image was supposed to be a picture of little Fives and Echo playing but well, Chat GPT did give me a reason to download the file under the name "What the kriff Chat GPT???".

***

Obi-Wan wasn't tired, he was exhausted. And he had work to do. So he just took a sip of his dark black coffee and turned his computer on, praying neither of the children will wake up because of a nightmare, a random loud sound or whatever. It took him an hour to get them ready for bed. And another ten minutes of telling Anakin a bedtime story. But luckily, now he had a moment of peace.

Obi-Wan quickly scanned his messages. Few notifications from friends, some advertisement, two emails from his coworkers and... an email from Anakin's teacher. Obi-Wan clicked that open and read. An invitation to come to school. Great. Just wonderful. He didn't much care what Anakin had done. If it was really serious, he would get notified sooner. What mattered more to him was the time he would have to waste speaking with the teacher. That and the fact that he will have to get someone to babysit Anakin and Ahsoka. He sighed. Just wonderful.

***

Cody turned off the light and was closing the door behind him when: "Cody?"

"Yes, Rex?" he turned around. It was too dark to actually see something but he could make up the outline of Rex's bed.

"Are you still mad at me?"

Cody sighed. "I'm not mad, Rex."

"You are. You didn't even give me a bedtime kiss."

"Rex, I'm not mad at you," Cody walked to Rex's bed and sat down on the edge. "I'm just... a little disappointed."

"I'm sorry,"

"I'm sure you had your reasons. Just... look, I didn't expect this from you. You are nine, you are a grown up boy. And I've always been proud of you for being responsible and considerate. If it were just Fives and Echo, they are troublemakers but they are little. But now I'm being called to school, again, and this time not just because of the twins but also you."

"I'm sorry, Cody."

"I know you are, Rex. But that won't change anything," Cody sighed. "I thought I've raised you well but clearly I was wrong."

"I told you I'm sorry Cody!"

"You hit a second grader, Rex. That boy is what? Two, three years younger than you? Only a coward does that."

Rex didn't answer. He just laid there for a few moments before he sobbed loudly. And Cody instantly regreted being so harsh with his words.

"Don't cry, Rex," Cody found Rex's head in the dark and gently stroked the boy's hair. Rex pulled away from the touch. Cody wasn't really surprised. He would have done the same. "I'm sorry for being so harsh with you. I didn't mean to."

This time, Rex's let Cody touch him and even lean into his hand as Cody stroked his blonde hair.

"I love you, even though I'm a little disappointed. Everyone makes mistakes. Just... try not to get into a fight with younger kids again?"