Chapter One

Ruby's POV:

3 Years Later...

The bustling streets of New York fueled my drive and calmed my nerves. The cars rushed by, the people brushed past, and the skyscrapers stood tall. I flexed my hand, attempting to calm the nerves that were buzzing under my skin. My friend's conversation passed through me as I tried to tune back into the conversation.

Looking to my right I found Chloe admiring her new purse, her long auburn hair flowing around her shoulders while she tucked it behind her ear. Her green eyes were attached to the purse in her hand, the elegant green clutch complimenting her and her outfit in every way. Chloe had a timeless style, something that set her apart from everyone else.

"I can't believe you bought that. There is no way that was worth 1,000 dollars." Ellie exclaimed, rolling her eyes at Chloe and her new found obsession. Chloe looked up at Ellie, narrowing her expression and smiling slightly.

"And you don't need a man, but here we are. I have my new purse and you have your man." Her response pulled a gasping response from Ellie on my left as she played out looking offended. "Those two aren't even in the same realm, Chloe."

"You're right. My purse is worth more than your man." Chloe smiled sweetly as she spoke and I couldn't stifle a laugh as Ellie now looked actually offended. "We all know Chloe has a shopping obsession and you have an obsession with your man." I said to Ellie before she could respond with whatever sarcastic remark she was going to throw back.

"I am not obsessed." Ellie grumbled while we continued walking to the subway. Both Chloe and I shared a knowing look. "I think the word you are looking for is love." Chloe murmured, all of us navigating the busy streets of New York. Cars drove by, each moment someone honking, people brushing past, all of them ignoring us, and the chaoticness of it all was a safe place. There is no better place to hide than in plain sight.

"I am NOT in love. I don't- you don't- I can't- I can't believe you even said that." Ellie exclaimed, her tone trying to cover up the quiver in her voice. Giving herself away even more obviously. Neither Chloe or I could manage to respond to her ridiculous statements. Taking her arm, I gave Ellie a sarcastic look and stayed perfectly silent, enjoying the comfort of her and Chloe on either side of me.

With them, touch was welcome. With anyone else, much less a man, it was a curse. Flinching and shying away from any man's touch gave a very clear indication that both mentally and physically I was still not ready to cross that line. Therapy could only help so much. Could only give me the tools to mend myself, it was I who had to actually begin the process. I was still approaching that point.

Ellie was the one who broke the silence after a couple of blocks, "Ruby?"

"Mhm." I hummed, looking down at my watch.

"You should put yourself out there. You know find 'the one.'" Ellie answered, putting a heavy emphasis on "the one." My hands got clammy and I could feel myself lose my breath. My heart beat heavy and it took a moment to collect myself. Finding a point to focus on and relax.

"I am more than happy with just you two in my life." Letting the lightness of my voice conceal how I really felt about the subject.

"Awww." Both of them cried, squeezing my arm and smiling wide at me. Of course a part of me wanted someone to share my life with. Someone to hold me when my nightmares got to me, or someone to sooth me on my birthday. But that would require me to explain what happened to someone. And I knew that wasn't in the cards.

Rounding a corner of a street, Ellie let go of my arm and began waving bye, "I got to get to my hair appointment but I will see you guys later for drinks. Good luck on your interview!" She wished as Chloe also began moving away from me.

"I have to go back home and pretend to get some work done, but you will crush it and they would be stupid to not hire you." She said, waving back as they both departed down different streets and leaving me just a couple of blocks from the subway. "Alright see both of you later."

Looking down at my watch I felt a tinge of anxiety at how late it was. I had built in time and I knew that I still had time to make it without being late but the New York subways could be unpredictable. Not looking up as I began to walk, I could feel myself knock into someone.

My body jolted at the contact and I could feel my legs stumble backwards and the center of gravity failing me. Then something warm and firm grasped me, hands attached to my waist to steady me. And my body complied, its usual rejection of unwelcome touch nowhere to be found, replaced by a warm sensation coursing through my veins.

"I am so sorry." I exclaimed, looking up at the person who I had run into. I paused as I took him in. Gorgeous green eyes, strong jawline, smooth dark hair. He looked as if he belonged in a movie. He was deathly, and darkly gorgeous.

His eyes met mine and that's when I could feel reality snap me back. Taking a step back, I felt his grasp around me drop but the darkness of his presence stayed. He was extraordinary. But I knew the man he was. The dark ink that peaked out from his collar bone, the cruelty in his eyes, and the two men behind him were enough to tell me he was trouble.

"Don't apologize. It was my fault." His voice was deep, it sounded like music and when he talked the rest of the noise around us faded away. This was someone who demanded attention. Demanded to be obeyed. And I could tell he got what he demanded.

His green eyes narrowed at me, never leaving my face as I gave him a sweet and nervous smile. "Well, I am sorry anyways. Have a good day." I rushed, brushing past him and keeping my head down. His gaze felt like fire on my back and the feeling didn't leave until I was at least two blocks away.

My heart raced. And it was only when I had made it onto the subway did I finally realize that no part of my body rejected his touch. In fact, the places where he had placed his hand were burning in a sensation that had me wanting more.