𝖙𝖗𝖔𝖎𝖘.

( chapter three. . . )

 )

Life was strange; so unpredictable. In the seven years since Nicolas arrived in the dank rain-slicked Telmarine lands, he thought he'd seen his fair share of darkness. He had nothing left, and often, he's lost grappling for some sense of warmth in the coldness of the vast pirate empire. He was alone here, in a land of strange, evil men. No amount of reassurance from Sona or Dante could keep him from believing he was a black stain in the seafaring country.

People glared at him maliciously, no doubt plotting his very messy demise. Their whispered voices hissed like serpents and followed him at every turn. The fifteen-year-old Nicolas was frequently chased away, down the icy corridors. Many of the lords took to naming him Outlander in their advising sessions, bringing about mocking laughter. He was kept resolutely out of conversation; no one spoke to him, except in hard, accusing tones. Sometimes, much to the boy's confusion, it was like he didn't even exist! As much as it rightly frustrated him, Nicolas couldn't fathom the reason for such unfair treatment. Much less, why he deserved such a thing.

Dante's pursuit to adopt Nicolas did little to brighten his situation. He was profoundly grateful to Sona and Dante for taking him in. Even so, Nicolas still felt lost and alienated. Being here in Telmar only solidified that dense void. As a recognized son of a highly ranked General, Nicolas thought the foreign courtiers would begin to accept him, but he was sorely mistaken.

Regardless of his newfound standing in the castle, both noblemen and women alike continued their heinous abuse of the teenager. The jeers and whispers became harsher, and the attempts to displace him in palace high society were evermore pronounced. Enraging as it was to experience, Nicolas forced his chagrin down, dampening the growing cloud of fury with a strong fist. He wanted to endure, hope it would cease, but somewhere in the recesses of his mind, he knew that notion was impossible.

Certainly, that could only ever be imagined, he thought darkly. Never could it be reality!

If he had anyone to blame, it was the damned Telmarines. Their soldiers attacked his home; they were the ones that murdered his family. It was the Telmarines that stole everything he knew, everyone he loved, and forced him to act as a prisoner of war. Leave it to pirate lords to ignore accountability for their crimes! Nicolas never asked to be here, for any of this!