Chapter 8: Calling Hours

Calling Hours

The morning next day had been truly eventful as there have been a flock of men rounding about Mayfair Street. Mainly, trying to show off their selves calling on the doors of the ladies that captivated them from the ball last night.

The Bridgerton House had expected the early morn to be busy. There were a few men who had come calling for Francesca, much to the delight of her mother Violet Bridgerton. Because of this, Franny's brothers were required to be on the drawing room to meet the suitors and chaperone their freshly debutante sister.

"Are you not planning to visit the Featheringtons brother?" Benedict asks his younger sibling as he sees Colin gazing at the mansion across the street from their window.

Colin Bridgerton could no more but let out a deep sigh as he realized how stupid he is and how awful he was as a friend to their dear good Penelope. His mother had already fully explained to him last night what transpired just after he left for Italy. Especially with Lady Whistledown's column bringing up how he embarrassed and put Miss Featherington down in front of his friends.

Violet had advised him to apologize and ask Penelope for her forgiveness. Violet Bridgerton have a very soft spot for Miss Featherington on her heart, as she had been treating the latter just like her very own daughter. She had seen Pen grow up together with all of her other children especially with her being best friends with Eloise. The former viscountess would not want to forever have their relationship with Penelope strained just because of the foolish remarks made by her son.

"I want to brother, believe me. I just not know what to do when I am to be in front of her." Colin looked away from the window pane as he takes a seat on the blue cushion of the sofa in her mother's drawing room.

Violet, who were sitting closely to her two sons reminded him. "I did say you are to apologize to Miss Featherington. Profusely." Lady Bridgerton emphasized while still maintaining her soft motherly voice. She would like to remain calm as a swan as there are still guests calling on Francesca at the other side of the room.

"I surely plan to do so mother. No matter what anyone thinks, I badly want to get her good graces back."

"So what reason are you still here? It's within calling hours, why not knock on their doors and start apologizing Colin?" Violet worriedly asks her son. If her third son wants to explain himself his actions to Miss Featherington, this should be the right time to do so.

Colin exhaled as he grabs a bite of the sandwiches offered on the table. "The Featheringtons seems to be busy this morning. I noticed a lot of men coming through their doors since earlier."

Benedict chuckled as he sees the defeated look on his younger brother. Colin is not one to be easily discouraged when things do not go his way. However, he noticed that when it comes to their neighbor friend Miss Featherington, his brother tends to fold in defeat so quickly.

"Is it not a good thing? As the emerald of the season, expectation to have suitors will be there. But they do not have a man in the family. It would be best if a man figure would help the Featherington ladies manage Pen's suitors. And who would be the best person is, than you who is close as a brother to Miss Featherington? Don't you agree mother?" Benedict says.

Violet Bridgerton contemplates on Benedict's words. Her son was truly right. It is difficult for a noble family without a man on its household to guide them through high society, a dilemma Violet does not have to worry about since there are plenty of grown and capable men under their family name, starting with her first born, the Viscount Bridgerton.