Chapter 3

Waking up was something that, in all honesty, was the last thing I wanted to be doing.

It was officially the start of my first full day at the "boarding home," or whatever the brochure had called it. I had been at this establishment for less than twenty four hours and already wanted to die more than I ever had previously.

Does that make this program counterproductive? If I reported it would I get to go home?

...yeah probably not.

With a sigh, I pulled myself out of bed and plodded over to my dresser. I selected a t-shirt and pants at random with a spare change of undergarments, before locking myself in the bathroom.

I felt like it would've been appropriate to have a meltdown at this point, but I repressed my emotions. I had to get through another awkward day of trying —and failing— to socialize with my new... housemates.

I opted not to look at myself in the mirror, instead turning on the water as hot as it could go.

"At least now I won't feel bad about racking up a water bill," I murmured to myself before folding my nightclothes and stepping under the stream.

• • •

Post shower clarity has got to be one of the nastiest experiences known to man kind. And I would know, as my current state was admittedly sub-par.

I leaned against the sink, dry heaving into the toilet. Water droplets ran down my back, through my hair, and into my eyes. It felt like the walls of the bathroom were closing in on me, threatening to trap me in an unfamiliar place with no one who truly cared about my well being.

Hauling myself up, I bracing my arms against the countertop as I stared into the mirror. What looked back at me was rough. Dark shadows made me look heavy and gaunt, while my soaked hair hung around my face. A mixture of water and salty tears left streaks on my face, and my nose was red, lips puffy.

I tried to ignore my constricted throat, straightening to grab a towel hanging on the wall. I aggressively dried my hair and body, before slipping into the outfit I had grabbed.

It was simple, luckily, a cream-colored knit sweatshirt with a pair of jeans. This was improvement! At least now I wouldn't have a horrible breakdown over looking ugly and embarrassing myself in front of the other guys. Or even worse, at least I didn't look like a try hard who was flaunting their wealth or status or–

I was cut startled out of my thoughts by a knock and a gentle voice.

"Hello? Lu? I knocked on the other door but you didn't answer. Just checking to make sure you're okay!"

I immediately recognized Arthur's voice. It was starting to be somewhat comforting. At least I recognized someone here. I glanced at my reflection one last time and scrubbed at my eyes before opening the door to the bathroom and stepping out slightly.

Arthur grinned at me, but not after his gaze narrowed and performed a once over that I quickly caught on to.

He continued smoothly, "Morning Lu, did you sleep well? Hopefully Riley's snoring didn't keep you up too much," he trailed off with a slight chuckle.

I smiled at him. "I slept great. Didn't hear a thing either."

Arthur laughed in response. "That's great to hear. Also, Hermes told me to tell you that breakfast has already happened. We eat kinda early..." he said sheepishly, scratching at his neck.