A STEP FORWARD

A/N : Thank you all lovely people for waiting so long. As I promised, I am here with an new update. Enjoy reading.

*         *        *       *       *       *      * 

"Maryam!" Murtasim called as soon as he saw Maryam moving towards the kitchen with a plate in her hand. It was late at night and he wasn't expecting to see anyone so he was visibly surprised.

"Why are you awake so late? He asked.

"Bhai!" Maryam was scared at first then relaxed seeing her brother's figure. "Umm...nothing. I was just going." She said nervously.

"You haven't had your dinner yet?" He asked indicating the plate in her hands.

"Actually, this was for Meerab but she refused to eat." After a minute of silence she continued, "She hasn't eaten anything since morning".

Murtasim's brows furrowed. "Did something happened?"

"Bhai woh..." Maryam told everything that happened at the dining table in the morning. "Bhai, maa ne Meerab se aapki dusri shadi ki baat karke sahi nahi kiya. She was very hurt. I tried to talk to her but she didn't talk. And now she refused this too".

Murtasim's jaw was clenched and his eyes were spitting fire. Yes, he was upset with her but that didn't mean his mother could say anything to his wife and he would do nothing. "How did you know?"

"I was going to the university when I heard this. I tried to talk to maa but she didn't listen to me thinking I would just lie to save Meerab."

He nodded his head. "Tum jao, main dekhta hun."

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 

"Ye aap log mujhe kahan chhodke chale gaye, Baba?" Meerab complained to her father's photo. She was crying since morning. She was already sad and frustrated that Murtasim had ignored her since the day they were suppose to have lunch together. She tried so many times to talk to him, to know what had she done to gain his ignorance. Every day she made his breakfast, sends him lunch and even waited for him to have dinner together but he seemed to have ignored her whole existence. He only came home after she slept until last night when she made coffee for him. She thought to talk to him calmly and understand what had gone wrong in their relationship. She was even ready to hear his point of view regarding Haya's claims of Murtasim loving her and Meerab being an intruder in their life.

But today her resistance broke when baa begum insulted her and talked about Murtasim's second marriage in front of Haya. Was she indicating what Haya claimed? Was she so unfortunate that no one understand her? Was she so unlovable? She couldn't think further and broke into tears. She was lost too much to notice when the darkness spread across the sky hiding the warm rays of the sun.

"Meerab", a deep voice broke her stance. She wiped her tears haphazardly and tried to walk past him when she felt her wrist being gripped by Murtasim.

"Kuch baat karni hai. Whatever I said yeste..." he was interrupted when Meerab made herself free from his grip.

She turned towards him and jerked herhands. "Yes yes, I know I made a mistake yesterday. I told you it won't happen again. Jitni bhi baatein sun'ni thi maine tumse, tumhari ma se infact, tumhari chahiti Haya se bhi sun liya hai. Please, ab baksh do mujhe. Aur nahi sun sakti". She snapped at him. She again tried to walk past him but he held her hand and gently made her turn towards him.

"Meerab" his voice was soft yet firm. His palms wrapped around her upper arm in a gentle yet insistent hold as he guided them both towards the couch. He made her sit on the couch and knelt in front of her. He slid back his hands down and held her hands in his. "I am really sorry for everything that maa had told you".