Before the Storm

Note: No songs used are written by me. They're all songs that sound like they would fit in The Hunger Games, as well as songs already featured in the books / films. Direct quotes as well as songs used will go in brackets.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

I've always been able to tell when it would rain. Some say it's obvious, the way the Earth and air smell. Others say it's because of the clouds. But even before I see or smell those things, I wake up just knowing.

Today, it will rain.

The children of the district whose parents let them gather joined me by the fence leading to the woods which we are not allowed to go in. I gather here so I can hope to catch Gale and Katniss on their ways back from hunting.

Gale and I have a lot of little siblings, you see. He's a year older than me, seventeen, making me sixteen. There's Rory, he's twelve. It'll be his first year in. Then there's Vick. Vick still has another two years before we have to worry. Lastly, we have Posy. She's only about four years old, thankfully. Katniss, luckily, only has Primrose to worry about, as well as herself. Really, though, we're like a combined family of sorts? We help each other out.

Most of twelve really is like a community, but with how we're all treated? It's kind of impossible to help everyone out. Still, Katniss and Gale hunt. I sing and dance and watch the children for several families for a few hours so work can get done.... We all try. Some of the parents even gave me some spare coins for helping out, no matter how many times I've told them not to worry about it.

[ "There's a sky underground
Where the sparrows chase me down
'Cause there's nowhere left for me to go

Well, I'm alone, but I'm alive
You can make me dance, but don't make me dive
Into the unknown world below

I've been traveling on this land
Where my feet don't understand
The red rising ripples of the sea...." ]

It's the last song of the day. Clouds are starting to roll in, though there's no sign of rain yet. Still, I know it's coming. It always does.

Once my song finishes, I give a little bow to the children, who are all still full of energy and elated. My three younger siblings approach, and I give Rory a small smile before kissing Posy on top of her head.

"You three run along home now, and don't be too much trouble for momma. Rory, you better keep an eye on 'em," I instructed with a stern look fixed on the oldest of the three. He nodded, making sure the other two were holding hands, Posy sandwiched between himself and Vick, before wandering back to our home.

"You always have such perfect timing."

My smile only widened hearing my older brother's voice. I lifted the hem of my skirt to hurry and catch up with him and Katniss, both a few feet ahead of me and headed for The Hob. I linked my arm with Gale's (Katniss doesn't like being touched and I respect that), reaching up while keeping stride with him to smooth down his hair.

"You look like a wild man, my goodness," I stated with a sigh. Sure, most of us in twelve were at least a little dirty, but he could at least try to appear semi civilized.

"Says the girl missing her shoes," He shot back. I stuck my tongue out at him, nearly knocking into someone with my attention diverted. I gave an apologetic smile to the man and a little wave before returning my focus in front of us.