chapter 1

~a normal wednesday morning~

SINCE I HAVE SUCH A REPEATING LIFESTYLE, why not start from the very beginning? I wake up at 6:00 AM every single weekday, or at least that's when my first alarm is. I have an alarm every five minutes from 6:00 - 6:15. I probably wake up with about 7 hours of sleep, or less. See, the concept of sleep is fun, but it's kinda boring considering I could be doing other stuff, like reading. I don't mind less sleep though, I always get up on time, unlike my older sister, Vahlia. She's an annoying, pesky rat who doesn't know common sense.

After, gloriously, waking up with somewhat amazingly dark, black curly hair, I change into my school uniform. It doesn't have any mandatory color or anything, we just buy the clothes off of a website, and they're hella expensive for no reason. It's like they're trying to give my parents another reason that I'm wasting their money.

I stare into the mirror, watching myself brush my uncared hair. It's a bit tangled at the ends and grown out from my old haircut. I usually like my hair at my shoulders with layers. Now it's at my chest and it's way too annoying to handle. My attention glides down to my eye bags. They aren't too big, so you can't really see them with my glasses on. I brush my teeth and run downstairs with my backpack.

I'm always the first one downstairs, so I set down my stuff by the front door and go into the kitchen to make cereal. Now, this part is very important because some nasty people in this world just don't know how to make cereal. First, you pour the cereal. NOT the milk. You do that after so the cereal has the perfect texture and so milk doesn't splash all over. I pour my current favorite cereal, Froot Loops. That toucan literally is the reason my sanity isn't completely gone. And here's a secret to get my favorite milk to cereal ratio. After you put the cereal in, you set your spoon on top, like a level almost. You pour the milk and stop before it reaches the spoon and fills it up. It may seem stupid, but it is so helpful. My day is immediately ruined when my breakfast is ruined. Thanks for watching my step by step youtube video on how to achieve the perfect cereal.

As I sit down to eat, I see a book my dad left on the counter. It was titled Never Eat Alone. I looked up around the kitchen to see if anyone was here to see this but at the same time looking at the invisible camera. Well newsflash, my family was still upstairs getting ready and I really am eating alone. "Hey Jared, see this book here? Glad I'm totally not eating alone," I said to Jared, aka the air, knowing no one would hear. But it's not like anyone ever does.

By the time I finished eating and I've gotten ready for school, my parents come down and ask, "Have you eaten? Packed your backpack? Filled your water bottle?" and on and on with the list.

I give them the usual, "Yup. Yeah. Done." I pulled out The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan to reread. I actually really like it, but I don't understand how you could hate Jason. Maybe he has no personality because he had amnesia? He didn't even remember his name for god's sake! Jason has no reason to be hated, change my mind.

Ten minutes before we have to leave, Vahlia comes down. She only has her outfit together and hair tied in a terrible messy bun. How could you possibly mess up a messy bun? She barely has her bag packed and she still didn't put together her lunch, which takes her way too much time.

"About time, you're gonna make us all late now," I muttered under my breath. She has absolutely no skills in time management and she ruins punctuality for all of us.

My mom made a tsk sound,"Alice, don't be rude to your sister. She is a busy high schooler. You'll be as busy as her when you get there." My parents choose to call me Alice and not Ace. They think it's too improper. Also, I doubt I'm gonna be as poorly time managed as her. I'm way more organized. She's just too stubborn and idiotic to actually follow a plan.

"She wouldn't be so busy if she wasn't FaceTiming people every single second."

"Ugh, I don't know why you have to be so mean," said my sister in a very pick me voice.

I would've said she asked for it but then my mom would come at me. Luckily for her, I held back. I hate when I look like I'm the one wrong, but I'm totally not. Whenever I have the last word, I always seem rude. But for everyone else, it's called guidance. It's not fair!

Fast forward to when my parents drive me to my bus stop and I get on the bus. Since I'm the first stop, no one else is on the bus and not many people are at my stop. I sit on the second to last row on the bus. My childhood friend Remi sits across from me. I've been going to Kalten since 6th grade, but I went to preschool and elementary school with Remi. Remi just joined Kalten this year. It's really weird though because she's the purest kid of them all and well, I've changed. I'm not the same Ace she knows. I put my earbuds in and started listening to Green Day on Spotify. Apple Music users are just weird. Dilemma starts playing.

We reach the more popular stop, and my other two friends, Millie and Liah sit down at the very back row. "What's up?" Millie says.

"Uhh, nothing much. Just chilling." I reply. For the next 25 minutes, we go back to just not talking and doing our own thing.