Chapter 2: Later years

The night air was cool on Y/n skin as she walked home. She sighed softly and rubbed her neck. 'That was a long day..' she thought. "Why can't I keep a stupid job?" She said to herself. Y/n had been bouncing from Job to Job for years. For some reason she couldn't keep one, she was always fired or she had to quit for someone reason or another. Today she was fired for accidentally setting fire to her bosses office at the ministry. She made it to her small flat in London, she unlocked her door and dropped her bag on the floor. She walked over to her couch and dropped her coat. Y/n went over to a mirror that was hung on her wall and looked at herself. Her hair was in a messy bun but it wasn't much of a bun anymore. A few pieces of hair were singed at the ends and most of it was falling out of her bun. She rubbed a bit of ash off her cheek and pulled out her wand. She flicked it and her hair fell out of its messy bun and straightened itself out. All of the sudden she got a sharp pain in her left eye. She lend over in pain groaning. She looked in the mirror at her eye, the eye which was usually light blue glowed white and flicked back and forth between the two colors. Y/n rubbed her eye. "Come on! Stop it!" She cursed at herself. She sighed, "I just need some sleep." She made her way to her small room that was covered with papers. "Ugh! I can't deal with this today!" Y/n flicked her wand around in frustration, sending a blue spark flying across the room. It landed on a pile of paper on her desk, it lit up in blue flames. "Oh blast!" Y/n yelled. She ran over forgetting you knows about 5 different spells to put out a fire and started hitting the flames with a dirty shirt, that she had forgotten to wash. The shirt just lit on fire in her hand. "Ughhaaa!" Y/n granted. "Where's my wand?!" She looked around her messy room. "There it is!" She grabbed her wand that she had thrown in frustration on her bed. "Vanishment!" The fire went out immediately. Y/n fell back on her bed sighing for the millionth time that day and closed her eyes, falling asleep unintentionally.

"Whooo!" Y/n heard a sound come from a window. Her eyes were still closed she was half asleep. "WHOOOO!!" The owl screeched loader. Y/n sat up, her hair covering her face in a messy bed head. "What is the blazes is that?!" Y/n screamed in anger. "whoo..." the owl said this time in a tiny, soft voice. Y/n flipped her head around to look out the window of her bedroom. There on the window seal was a tiny barn owl, with big brown eyes. "Who on earth is sending mail this early on the morning?" Y/n scramble out of bed and opened the window. The tiny owl hopped onto her desk, She flinched backwards. "do you have a note?" Y/n looked around the owl but there was nothing, no note in its beak or attached to its foot. "Ok..so if you don't have anything to give me, I would appreciate if you would fly back out of my room. I don't really like creatures.." The owl just stared at her tilting its head slightly. "Or you can just stay there I suppose..." Y/n stepped back not turning her back to the owl. "You just stay there, I'm just going to get changed in the bathroom.." She backed up and felt for the bathroom door nob. She turned the nob and slid into the bathroom locking the door behind her, leaving the owl on its own. The little thing looked around her room. It flew back outside the window then came back with a letter bigger than itself. It tried to fly over to her bed, it wobbled back and forth eventually falling on the floor. It screeched in pain. Y/n opened the bathroom door, she still had her toothbrush hanging out her mouth. "Wha?" She spattered out. She saw the little owl laying on the ground, it tried to sit up but when it flapped its wing it was bent in half. The little thing made a whining sound. "Oh, oh dear!" Y/n walked over to the owl nervously. "Ummm...I'm sorry I don't know anything about creatures.." Y/n grabbed her wand from out of her hair and flicked it a few times. Her toothbrush picked itself off the group and floated back into the bathroom. Her hair tied itself in a nice bun and a tea towel flew over and cleaned up the toothpaste that had splattered on the floor. Y/n knelt next to the bird, "Uhh.." She cautiously picked up the little bird and cradled it in her hands, "just like Newt showed you.." Y/n whispered to herself. "Oh my gosh, Newt!" Y/n said. "I know just who can help you, my school best friend, Newt Scamander. He knows everything there is to know about creatures." Y/n stood up not noticing the letter that was left on the floor. She held the Bird a good arms length away from her as she went out into the kitchen. She looked around her messy kitchen and spotted a bread basket with an old stale piece of bread left inside. She carefully placed the owl in the basket. "There you go, now I haven't seen Newt years. Not since he got expelled from school, come to think of it I haven't even talked to Leta since school." Y/n talked to the owl. "I don't even know where he lives. How am I supposed to find him?" Y/n stoped and looked at the owl. "I'm talking to an owl..that can't understand me. Am I going crazy?" The owl just looked at her with its big brown eyes, that looked to big for its head. "I've got it!" Y/n grabbed a book from a drawer, it was like a muggle phone book but for delivering letters. "I really hope he still lives there." Y/n said as she stared to write a note. When she finished she folded it up and said, "Ok I have to leave now but I'll be back soon. Hopefully he gets this today." Y/n grabbed her coat and headed to the ministry of magic. She was not excited to go back and see the boss who had just fired her not even 24 hours ago.

Y/n walked over to the front desk of the ministry of magic her head down hoping no one will remember her. "Hello may I help you?" A woman at the front desk asked. She had short brown hair and green eyes, she was wearing a black suit dress and her wand was placed behind her ear. Even though it was half falling off. "Umm I need to send a letter though a messager owl please." "You don't have one at home?" She asked. "Nope! Don't have room for one." The lady looked at Y/n closer and face changed to a look of laughter. "Y/n? What in Merlin beard are you doing back here? Weren't you fired yesterday for setting Mr. Garfs desk on fire?" She said holding back a laugh. "Yes it's me, shhh! I just want to send a letter and get home please, Marry!" Y/n pleaded. Marry nodded smiling. "Where do you need it to go? I can take it if you want." She said. "Oh thank you! Thank you so much! It needs to go to Newt Scamander." Marry looked up at Y/n and said, "Scamander? Isn't he your old school friend? You talk about him a lot. Seems to me you had quite the little crush on him." She teased. "I did not! I have a creature problem and I know he's a magizoologist and he could help me." Y/n passed the note. "WOW you hate creatures-" Y/n cut her off, "I don't hate them! They just freak me out ok? It's a childhood thing.." Marry took the note and gave Y/n a wink, "Ok I'll deliver it, don't forget we're going to dinner Friday and your going to tell me everything about how that Newt guy looks like now." She walked away and Y/n laughed under her breath. Molly was her best friend, they met when she started working at the ministry and flipped between departments. They had gotten closer in a year then anyone else of her friends she's ever had. She had talked about Newt a few times but not enough to make her think she had a crush on him..right?