CHAPTER 9: Open Up, Or Don't. We Don't Care.

Be Rose because she's also important to the plot!!!

I had gone home early today, and was just doing what I usually did when I was sick. Something to keep me busy when I couldn't really do much. Even though I would have to clean my strewn out mess of yarn up later, I simply didn't care in the moment because the cold seasons were coming and I knew that my new good friend Kanaya would appreciate a gift. Especially because trolls aren't used to the cold that comes with Earth's winters.

I couldn't help but feel a small amount of relief when I remembered Dave and Dirk were coming over today, just because I was getting a bit sick of the only real company being Roxy, who also lived with us. It was nice to have family over. Even when I was sick.

I heard the sound of the lock clicking, symbolizing that Roxy was back, with or without the others. When I heard other voices I just took out of context that it was with the others.

Soon enough, I saw a certain face, eyes covered with the aviator mirror shades he always wore, peeking around my door frame. The door was slightly open, giving him just the right amount of open space to see me.

"You can come in," I let out the smallest laugh at how it looked. He looked like a child peering into his mother's room after he had a nightmare.

"Oh, uh, yeah, alright," He just pushed the door open the rest of the way, moving one of the yarn balls on the floor so he could sit right across from me. "Just wanted to see if you were doing alright. I heard you'd been sick."

"Well, it's kind of you to check on me. And yes, I'm doing fine. It's just a small fever. But you know school systems, the tiniest symptom that could connect to a bigger thing and they don't let you go," I grabbed some of the yarn I used and put it up along with everything else, then looking back at Dave.

"Oh. Yeah, I know, the school system sucks," He went silent for a second, fidgeting with his hands. "So you're good friends with that one really tall troll, right? Forgot her name... Ka... Sounds like canyon?"

"You mean Kanaya?" I tilted my head to the side ever so slightly and it looked like a light bulb popped into his head.

"Yeah, her. You guys are good friends, right?"

"Yes, why?"

"Because she's good friends with Karkat, and Karkat had been acting weird lately."

"Oh, so this is about your crush?" I teased, shifting my position to make myself more comfortable.

"I do not have a crush on him. I'm just... concerned. One day he was happier than he normally is and now he either won't talk to me much or he'll yell at me. Something has to be wrong."

I just looked at him for a second, the smile disappearing from my face as he went on. He really did care for Karkat. And it showed.

"I'll tell Kanaya to talk to him about it," I promised. "Now, how about you go join Roxy and Dirk again? I wouldn't want to get you sick."

"Alright, get better soon," He got up and waved to me, leaving the room and cracking the door to exactly where it was before. I just smiled after him as he left, grabbing the bag that I had placed aside a minute before and getting back to work.

(timeskip brought to you by dave strudel)

Karkat's pov

I hadn't expected for Kanaya to just come up to me and start talking to me, but here I was, listening to her blab and fucking blab about how concerned she was. But I was fine as well as she knew.

". . . And I Thought I'd Come And Check On You Because Rose Told Me You Hadn't Been Very, Hmm, 'Normal' Around Dave Lately."

Oh. That explained everything. Of course he told her. Even if it was indirectly.