Chapter one

The sun dipped low on the horizon as I set foot on the familiar shores of Tybee Island. The salty breeze embraced me, a bittersweet reminder of the solace this coastal haven once provided. Tybee, a refuge from the dazzling chaos of my past, held secrets beneath its sands, and as I walked along the beach, I couldn't shake the feeling that my return marked the beginning of a journey, one destined to unravel the mysteries lurking beneath the surface.

Twenty-five years old and adrift, I sought sanctuary in the place that witnessed my childhood dreams and whispered promises of untold adventures. The glamour of modeling and the allure of the influencer life had crumbled like sandcastles at high tide, leaving me with the fragments of a career that had once defined me. Now, as I navigated the seashell-strewn path, I felt the weight of an unexpected return, a homecoming wrapped in both nostalgia and uncertainty.

The Whitaker family compound, nestled amid the lush greenery of Tybee, loomed ahead—a haven that once embraced dreams and shielded us from the world's chaos. My twin sister, Sable, an artist whose canvases mirrored the vibrancy of our shared past, awaited my return. Dad, Booker Whitaker, a respected businessman with a passion for eco-friendly initiatives, held the keys to a business that was both a legacy and a beacon for sustainability.

As I approached the Whitaker residence, memories of laughter, shared secrets, and the comforting hum of island life flooded back. Sable's vibrant strokes adorned the walls, capturing moments frozen in time. Dad's commitment to preserving Tybee's natural beauty echoed in every eco-friendly initiative undertaken by our family business.

The island, seemingly untouched by the trials of the outside world, held a sense of timelessness. However, beneath this idyllic exterior, unseen currents flowed, waiting to pull me into a mystery that would challenge family bonds and test the limits of friendship.

The cafe lights flickered to life on the boardwalk, casting a warm glow as I entered the heart of Tybee. The rhythmic sounds of waves and distant laughter created a familiar melody, inviting me to embrace the community that had shaped my past and, unbeknownst to me, held the threads of an enigmatic future.

With every step, Tybee whispered its secrets, and as the sun dipped below the horizon, I felt the first ripples of a story yet to unfold. The island, my sanctuary turned mystery, cradled the essence of hidden tales beneath its sandy exterior. As I navigated the winding paths, I knew that each grain of sand held a piece of the puzzle, and with each passing day, I was determined to unearth the truth—no matter the high tides or the lies concealed in the shadows.