074: ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ'ꜱ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏꜱ ᴍᴏᴍ

●~●~●~●~●

Danny walked down the streets of Alexandria beside Maggie.

It had been so long since he'd been here. Last time he was, he'd been telling Sami he could protect him. The next day, he climbed the walls to go to Hilltop and protect Maggie. Now he was back.

It felt small. Fake. Lots of it had changed, been rebuilt. The church, for one. 

He watched it as he passed. That was where Carl died. Right in there. 

He almost puked.

But when they reached the staircase down to the cell, Michonne stood there, watching them.

Maggie walked down to her, but stood almost protectively in front of Danny.

"Maggie? Danny?" Michonne looked at them.

"Get out of my way." Was all Maggie said.

"You're willing to turn this into something else. For him."

"No. We're finishin' what he started." Maggie repeated what Danny had said to her, earlier that day. "Negan should've died under that tree."

"But he didn't die, Maggie. It's done."

"Because Rick decided it was?" Danny signed the question.  Michonne was making him livid. the way she was looking at them, like they were misbehaving children. He understood if it was him standing here. But Maggie?

"You were there, Michonne." Maggie said. "You saw when Negan did."

"You think Glenn would want this? For you to go through me to get to him?"

"I don't know what he'd want. I don't know, because I never got to say goodbye."

"He wouldn't want it, Maggie"

The pair argued, and Danny remembered that Alexandria never treated him like Hilltop did. they never saw him.

So, he slipped past the pair, Maggie seeing him, but Michonne not.

Inside, there was a small hall, which lead to two cells. The walls were thick stone blocks, the door and windows to the cell plastic and metal, making it so they couldn't hear each other unless a small flap on the outside of the cells was lifted.

Danny walked past the first cell, a hairy Negan sitting in the back of it, and over to the second. 

His Mother looked as he remembered her, though her hair was longer. She was in a blue jumpsuit. 

There was a bloodstain along the ground, though he didn't know what it was from. There was a book sitting there, pages blank, almost like a taunt. 

She looked up at him as he entered, grinning. 

"Well, look who it is. Took your time."

He thought her face was strange. There was something in her eyes, though he couldn't place it. A chunk of hair was missing.

He was suddenly in a memory, standing on a stool in some shelter by a mirror, crying as she cut all his hair off. He was only four. 

"Look at what you've made me do?" She yelled at him, making him cry even more as she cut the tip of his ear with the scissors. "Made yourself a ratty, disgusting girl!"

He liked his hair long, when he was younger. She said it made him look like a girl.

He raised his hand to his ear, finger running along the scar. 

"You really should cut it again." She said, leaning back. "Your turning into a girl again."

Danny didn't know what to say. He'd had countless arguments with her in his mind. He'd said the prefect thing. He'd made her crumble, sometimes. Other times, she apologized. He felt strong. Like he could easily do it in person.