Tavern Brawl

Helen

Helen was never going to trust a pirate ever again. She had found herself in tough situations before, which was to be expected when exploring the skyways. But having her hands cuffed together, a nasty smelling sack covering her face while being locked in a cell, certainly took the cake.

Helen was told many times before that she was naïve. Too trusting of others to act with the same selflessness she had. Helen always brushed the comments away and tried to see the best in people. She believed no one was truly a bad person. They did bad things, but not out of malicious intent. Most were like wounded or abandoned stray dogs. They barked and growled at anyone who got close, in fear they would hurt them.

Helen thought of Tristan as a wounded stray, weary of her and the other prisoners. She thought back to when they were having their conversation before the escape attempt. She had no idea how a guy as capable looking as him ended up imprisoned by Deacon. He was definitely bulky underneath the pirate coat and trousers he wore. The scar underneath his eye and the cuts on his arms showed he was experienced in melee combat. His black hair had been pushed up by a bandana he had covering his forehead, leading to some strands of hair to hang over the sides. What really baffled her were his stormy gray eyes. They would've been mesmerizing to look at if they weren't so dull. His eyes held a look of defeat. Like he had given up the will to live a long time ago. Helen pitied him and wanted to distract him from his misery. She was glad she managed to cause a crack in his grumpy façade. When the two pirates came to rescue her, Helen didn't think twice about finding a way to get him out. But when it had been his turn to return the favor, Tristan fled. He left her in the hands of the Armada to save himself. Helen remembered feeling so many emotions at the time. Bitterness, hate, sorrow and betrayal. But now, she wasn't sure what to feel. She couldn't muster the energy to be angry at him. She just felt numb.

The room swayed to the side. Helen had almost forgotten she was still on the same Armada ship, captained by Deacon. After Tristan left them, Deacon ordered his troops to capture her and Kobe once again. Kobe fought back in a fruitless attempt to escape. He was quickly subdued by one of the bigger troops. Helen had no will to resist. The automatons gripped painfully at her wrists, bringing them together to put her hands in cuffs.. Helen watched as another automaton approached her and threw a sack over her head, obscuring her vision.

She was dragged and thrown back into her cell. It had felt like days until they finally lifted the suffocating sack from over her head, when in reality, only hours must've passed. She blinked in pain as her vision adjusted to the bright surroundings. Her eyes widened when she saw the barrel end of a rifle pointed directly at her face from the other side of the iron bars.

"No sudden movements." The machine holding the rifle said in its monotone voice. She watched from the corner of her eye as a different automaton left her cell, the smelly sack in his grasp. They wasted no time in closing the door to her cell, locking it. Next to them stood a familiar face. Deacon. Helen hated seeing his smug regal appearance. His attire was formal and elegant, like that of a navy officer, as he stood with his cane in his right hand. His emotionless mask always sent shivers down her spine.

"How fascinating." Deacon said in a condescending voice, "Organic beings are so intriguing. You were once so snarky. Showing much resilience. But now?" He then chuckled in a monotonous voice. "It is as if the puppet master has cut the strings, leaving you limp. Without purpose. My only gripe is that it was not me who caused this change in you." The automaton composed himself and adjusted the collar of his shirt. He turned away from his prisoner. "I'd get comfortable if I were you. We'll be departing by daybreak after the reparations are completed. I'd say to behave, but I don't believe that'll be an issue any longer." Deacon gave one last triumphant chuckle before departing, the two automatons close behind.