seven

word count: 1.7k

~

The twins sat in the row before Conway, and Mace used this to his advantage to try and talk to her. Each attempt failed for Conway blatantly ignored him. He glanced around at everyone, eyeing them all individually before looking at Conway for what seemed to be the fifth time in ten minutes. She raised her eyebrows at him, causing him to laugh and spin back around. He got under her skin easily, and he knew it too.

'He is obsessed with you isn't he?' Caspian muttered into Conway's ear, leaning close to her. 'That's like the thousandth time he's turned around to look at you.'

'What can I say?' Conway joked, causing Caspian's eyes to squint shut as he laughed.

Sitting silently, and patiently, Conway watched as they called for Mace Barlowe to present himself for his assessment. He rose to her feet with his head held high and stridded his way into the training centre, giving his sister a small wink.

Next, Ruby was called in. Followed by Odius Barkley and Delilah Katz from District Two, then Ash Monroe and Weiss Bracher from District Three. Caspian went next, gently squeezing Conway's knee as he rose to his feet. It wasn't long until he was walking out with a small sheen of sweat covering his forehead.

'District Four, Conway Evros. Please report for individual assessment.'

Conway entered the training room with a false sense of confidence. She presented herself before the Head Game Maker, Lilith Sallow Clem, an older woman with wild blonde hair and piercing green eyes that watched Conway's every move.

She performed what she was confident in; snares, knots and lifting. With what little time she had left, she sparred with one of the trainers. She managed to successfully knock his spear from his hands and pin him to the floor rather quickly with her legs. All of her time spent working on the dock and hauling large crates and nets aided in her ability to overpower the grown man. The look on her face gave away to the audience before her that she was just as shocked as them. She was proud of what she did and was greeted with scattered applause on her way out which put a small smile on her face, however, her satisfied expression fell once she stepped into the hallway and was pounced at.

Nearly leaping out of her skin, Conway punched Mace on the shoulder as he laughed and cowered away from her.

'You're freakishly strong, you know that right?' He asked her as her head swivelled around at a million miles an hour. 'What are you looking for?'

'What are you doing here?' She asked him, grabbing him by the elbow and pulling him further down the hall and away from the doorway knowing Caspian could walk back for her at any minute, or better yet another tribute could walk out and their possible planned alliance would be out the window. 'You're going to get me into trouble.'

'From who? Caspian? Finnick?' He was mocking her worried expression. 'I wanted to know if you had your answer yet?'

Conway crossed her arms. She was an idiot. 

'I do... But I have some rules if we're going to make this work.'

Mace ever so slightly fist-bumped the air and nodded his head rapidly, making Conway worried it was going to fall off of his neck and tumble to the floor. 

'Okay, anything. You name it,' he said to her, his excitement shining through.

She fought the small quip of her lips to keep them pursed into a thin line. 'One— you cannot harm Caspian at all. He is my ally, therefor he is yours by association.'