Chapter 1

Crystal:

I sighed as I stepped into the elevator of my apartment building in downtown Charlotte. I start my internship with Team Penske today and I'm super nervous. I received word two weeks ago that I had gotten the paid summer internship on Ryan Blaney's PR team, and I haven't seen the man since February. It's the end of May now. The last time I saw him, he made no effort to even talk to me, or look at me.

I walked to the parking garage and found my car. I hated this car, but the goal is to eventually get a new one, once I graduate college, of course. But that isn't until January 2024, eight months from now. I started my car and put the address to Team Penske in my Google Maps, which popped up on my CarPlay, an amazing invention.

After getting my Spotify set up, I pulled out of the parking garage, hit up Dunkin to get coffee and breakfast, then started on the thirty-seven minute drive to the Team Penske race shop in Mooresville. The drive wasn't bad but I fucking hate the interstates. So many idiots cause me to sound like Kurt Busch back in the day on the radio.

My nerves were high when I pulled into the parking lot of Team Penske's race shop. I was about to see Blaney, who I swore hated me without even knowing me. After collecting my last thoughts, I got out of my car with my bag and headed inside.

Ryan:

"What do you mean a PR intern??" I asked, very confused. "She is a student doing an online program through the University of Georgia. She needs a summertime internship to graduate and we allowed her to get those requirements fulfilled here this summer." Hannah, our PR director said before walking out to greet the girl.

I rolled my eyes, I hate interns, they are always in the way. I sighed and waited in the conference room with my PR, Drew.

Hannah walked in with the girl, and I was baffled. I never thought I'd have to see that girl again.

"Ryan, this is Crystal Dawson. She's the PR intern that is going to be working on your team. Please do your best to make her feel welcome." Hannah said. But I was determined to make her time here a living hell.

Drew took Crystal away for some onboarding stuff I guess, then he came to my office with her. I looked up when I heard a knock on the open door.

"Ryan I'm gonna need you to give Crystal the tour. I have an event I gotta get to with Joey." Drew said. I sighed, "Dammit." I said under my breath.

"Alright fine." I agreed to do it only because I don't wanna piss Roger or anyone else off.

Drew walked off and left Crystal here.

"So. Let's get going." I said with a blunt tone. Crystal had to reply to to that, "Well I guess that's better than you saying nothing at all."

I rolled my eyes, and ignored her. "So the staff lounge area, can eat in here, make coffee, basically do whatever you do in a work lounge." I showed her more of the shop, both NASCAR and IndyCar sides. I skipped IMSA.

"And through that door is the Wood Brothers shop. They have an alliance with Team Penske." I explained. She just nodded. I could tell she wasn't pleased with my blunt attitude. Good, being a dickhead is working.