the assignment LMFAO

BEFORE WE START: there's notes and such in here, such as you may see below at the top. these are to my teacher. i decided to keep them. words in bold are my vocabulary words (aka the reason this was made). i'm pretty sure the definition to all of them are said at least somewhere. this is the only way i know how to make this into a story. the story is literally about the ACTUAL assignment.

if you're wondering, yes, my teacher knows this is fanfiction. it's allowed, actually. she thought it was cool that i was doing DPS. like she was literally like "oo dead poets society!" and stuff. she loves me i am her favourite student. end note.

...

vocab. (that's the title)

(Yes this is literally just the characters/setting from Dead Poets Society so picture it as such. This is basically fanfiction at this point.)

Neil spun his pencil around in his hands, staring at the new vocab sheet he'd gotten.

"How're we supposed to make this into a story, again?" He asked Todd, his roommate.

Todd, who was sitting at his own desk. glanced over from his side of the room. The dorms at Welton were small enough to where he only had to push his seat back a bit to glance over Neil's shoulder onto the page. It had a list of 20 words; all listed by number in alphabetical order with their definitions by their side. Neil glanced over at Todd.

"That's... a good question," Todd mumbled. Neil sighed and turned his head back to his desk, his eyes glancing between the vocab list and the other, very blank lined piece of paper that sat beside it. "I guess you could just... Look in a dictionary, find how to use it in a sentence, and work around that."

Neil scoffed. "Or I could just write a story about writing a story about vocab."

"Maybe."

Neil looked at the paper. Some of the words reminded him of his friends.

Quaint, attractively old fashioned. That reminded him of Meeks, and how his style of doing... everything is typically 'old fashioned'. Even the radio he and Pitts had managed to make!

Paradigm, a standard or typical example. That reminded him of Cameron, and how he's always the example child made by Nolan. It was a joke that they always had, that he was a suck-up. But Neil knew that Cameron was only doing what he thought was right.

Phlegmatic, showing little emotion. That reminded him of Todd at the beginning of the year. He was thankful now that Todd seemed to show at least a little more emotion. He was proud, too.

Palliate, lessen or to try to lessen the seriousness or extent of. That reminded him of Charlie– sorry, Nuwanda, now, and how he always laughs and makes jokes at extremely serious moments. Even if it always gets him in trouble. Neil was grateful for that, too, because it made Hellton a lot less,, well,, Hell-like.

Laconic, brief and to the point. That reminds him of Pitts, and how with even the little amount he may talk to people other than Meeks, he still gets his point across easily when he needs to. This reminded him he would maybe have to try and talk to him a little more.

Noxious, injurious to physical or mental health. That reminded him of Knox. No real reason why other than that's what Charlie calls him. Neil was able to hear him laughing in class when the word was brought up, and he more than likely tapped Knox on the shoulder and made the joke. If it happened then Neil didn't hear nor see it, but he assumed it probably did.

Neil looked at the words, trying to find one that could fit him. He read through them all, but couldn't think of one. He turned around to Todd again, and voiced his question aloud.

"What one of these words would you like... Associate me with?" Neil asked.

Todd was silent for a few moments. "Maybe philanthropic. Or munificent. If there was a mix of those words then that'd be it. Philanficent or something."

Neil looked at the page and found the words. Philanthropic, of or relating to charitable giving.

"Charitable giving?" He asked, a hint of a laugh in his voice.

"Yeah! Like, when I first got here. You were incredibly charitable by giving a spot in your guys' group."

Neil scoffed and looked for the next word. Munificent, very generous. He smiled.

"Thank you," Neil said.

"Why? What word do you associate with me?" Todd asked. There was a sound of a pencil being placed down and a chair scooting back.

"Phlegmatic... Maybe that wasn't as nice as yours was." Neil could practically hear Todd roll his eyes.

"I'd say I show emotion," Todd said.

"What? Anxiety?"

"Shut up."

"Alright then." Neil grinned.

A few moments of silence passed.

"I'm changing my word for you," Todd said. "Now you're onerous"

"What?! No!" Neil exclaimed, a joking pout on his face.

"Oh but you're incredibly burdensome and difficult, oh so difficult to endure," Todd refuted.

"Fine! Then you're..." Neil quickly glanced back to his page, scanning over the words to try and find a new comeback. "Insa- Inane."

"I'm incredibly intelligent. I think that term is better for Mr Nolan," Todd mumbled, causing a laugh to come from Neil. "Also were you about to call me insan-"

Suddenly a bang was heard on Neil's side of the room, just on the other side of the wall. Quietly, they heard Charlie shout a shut up! from his room.

"Maybe I should give Charlie a new word, too..." Neil deadpanned.

"Yeah, what about overly annoying sometimes. Is there a word for that?"

The two roommates just looked at each other and began laughing harder, completely forgetting about their vocabulary work.

end.

(ps: Todd and Neil messing around in their dorm is so fun to write about like actually)