Chapter 5: Under My Care.

Kiel.

Did I just tell her something like that earlier? I walked through the hallways toward her bedroom. As soon as I reached her door, I went inside to check on her and.. Where-

I immediately ran to check the other rooms. Why isn't she on her bed? Her art room? No. The library? No. 

I passed by a window and there she was, outside, in the garden, alone. What is she even doing there at midnight? I stormed downstairs and to the garden where she was.

She turned to face me and immediately had a worried expression on her face. "What are you doing here, Phoebe? It's midnight!" I said in a stern tone, this didn't make me feel happy at all. "What if you got hurt while I wasn't around? I will never be able to forgive myself if that happens."

She lowered her head and averted her eyes. "I'm sorry." She said in her regular soft tone. How will I stay mad at her now? I looked down and noticed she wasn't wearing any shoes.

"Where's your shoes?" I said in a serious tone with a hint of concern. She shouldn't be going barefoot in the garden, what if she steps on something sharp?

"I intentionally didn't wear any." What?

"Phoebe-" 

"I know what you're going to say.." She cuts me off. "But I'm careful."

I took a deep breath to calm myself down, I couldn't stay mad at her. Why was I even mad again? "Why go barefoot then?"

She smiled. That smile. "I just wanted to feel everything."

I chuckled. "Well are you done?" I asked in a soft tone, and she shook her head. "Alright, I'll give you more time to do what you want to do."

The way her eyes sparkled after what I said was everything. I couldn't ask for more in this moment than to see her smile. and happy.

She walked towards the roses. I stayed at my position to give her some time alone. It's basic decency to give her space when she needs it so I maintained my position and kept watching over her and only move when she needs me to.

---

The night was sure cold and was getting colder. I checked my watch and it was already past 1 am. this wasn't a normal sleep schedule for her so it was making me worry. "Phoebe it's really late." I said in one breath with a concerned tone.

She looked over towards me and smiled. "Alright." She was only wearing a victorian night gown, she must be cold.

I walked towards her as she was walking towards me. I was wearing three layers of clothes. A jacket and a sweater then a shirt. I took off my jacket and wrapped it around her and looked at her eyes while they were looking at mine. 

"There, you must be cold." I said and our warm breaths were visible to how cold it was.

"Thank you, I'm honestly feeling really cold." She said and smiled before lowering her head. Am I high or did she blush? Well I gotta take her inside or she'll get sick, and I don't want that.

"Let's go inside." I kept my hand on her shoulder as I guided her to the door.

We got to the door and I couldn't open it. Shoot. Did I accidentally locked us out? I immediately checked my pockets. I don't have my extra keys with me, nor my phone to call one of the maids over.

"Is something wrong?" She asked.

"Yeah.. I locked us out." I said trying to sound like it isn't a problem, but it obviously is since the temperature here in York at night was ice. "Stay here, I'll check the other doors." I left her there and after a few steps I stopped. No, I'm not leaving her alone. I turned around and walked towards her again, she looked confuse.

"Aren't you gonna check-" 

I chuckled. "We. I'm not leaving you." I gently grabbed her hand and.. it's cold. She must be freezing. This instantly made me more worried about her. "You're freezing, Phoebe." The concern in my voice was visible.

"I'll be alright." She assured. But I didn't believe that since the situation was the complete opposite. 

I walked towards the other doors with her hand in mine, checking each one. Locked. "It's all lock, let's go back to-" I suddenly felt her weight against me so I caught her in my arms before she could completely fall, she was freezing. "Phoebe, you're so cold." She was shaking, I got to get her warm.

I carried her in my arms and kept her close to my body, making sure that my body heat was warming her up.

As we got to the first door, I tried to open it one more time and it was still locked. I sat her down beside the door and I took off my sweater to covered her with it. 

I am only wearing a t-shirt now, and the sudden cold wind sent chills down my body. It's really cold, but she's my priority.

I sat beside her and kept her close to me. Think, Kiel, think. You can't stay like this, she'll freeze. 

She was gripping onto my shirt on my chest as she shivered uncontrollably, her lips were turning purple and her skin was turning pale. I looked around and saw the cabin on the other side of the garden. Yes, there's a firewood stove there that I can use to warm her up.

I turned to her and placed my hands on her cheek, she instantly pulled her face away and looked at me. "Kiel, your hands are cold." She said in a shaky voice. Oops.

I chuckled. "Sorry, I was just making sure you're still alive." I said joking. "Brace yourself, I'll take you to the cabin" And before she could say anything, I carried her in my arms bridal style towards the cabin, I wasn't gonna waste a single second and let her freeze.

I sat her down on the red bench bed inside and worked on the firewood to heat up the place. I grabbed some wood from the firewood basket. I was on one knee in front of the firewood stove, tore a random newspaper and placed them inside then the small pieces of wood after and lit them up.

I walked up to her and brought her near the firewood stove but not too close, just enough to warm her up. I don't want her to accidentally burn herself. She sat down on the wooden floor and I placed larger pieces of wood in the firewood before I sat down beside her.

"Feel warm yet?" I asked with a still concerned expression. After I saw her shivering and pale, it felt like I broke my own heart seeing her situation. It hurts me seeing her that way, it felt like I could burn the world just to see her warm. 

"Mhm." She nodded and leaned her head on my shoulder. Her sudden actions almost made me lose my mind. "Thank you for keeping me warm, Kiel." She whispered sounding sleepy.

"It's my job." But am I still doing it just because it's my job? I then felt her fall asleep in my shoulder. I smiled as I looked her and fixed my jacket on her shoulder. 

I kept my arms around her shoulder to make sure she doesn't fall and interrupt her sleep in the process. She looks so peaceful when she sleeps.

I kept my eyes on her, she's so beautiful in every way.

Oh Phoebe,

I think I'm falling..

and I'm falling fast.

~