Chapter Three: Recognition

My parent's car flashes and flickers before sight, according to my weak vision. I do not bother waking up utterly, and I close my eyelids yet again.

Well, before I knew it, I overheard some conversations, leaving me confused.

'–scheduled for a follow-up appointment just next week.'

'Okay,' someone is rummaging through a bag. 'Thank you and bye.'

'Next?'

A completely white rubber floor along with voices of hurriness and my two numb legs flickers in my sight. I blink a few more times and take a huge deep breath, acknowledging the medication smells. That helps me recognize where this is, a hospital. I still feel disoriented, I cannot sit stably and I could still see some darkness beside me.

I discovered that mom is the one who kept me in company this whole time when I turned to the side on my seat. Thank you Mom.

'Charmi Glift?' The doctor speaks. He has a pair of white outlined glasses, which he just adjusted. The ghost white coat just suits his tall figure perfectly. In addition, he has a clean, perfect haircut, just like a formal doctor.

'Doc, is everything okay?' Mom is the kind of person that has an optimistic perspective, so she would use this phrase to replace 'Is anything wrong?' even though her voice shudders.

Doctor sighs and says, 'I'm sorry to inform you of some terrible news about your daughter, Mrs. Glift.'

I sense that her heart is sinking. 'Please do tell...'

'On a strong biological basis, your daughter lucklessly develops many of the physical symptoms of depression that are particularly evident since last week,' he hands Mom my mental health report, sighs and continues, 'Your daughter has mild depression... I'm sorry.'

Mom observes the report and gasps. I lean forward to see as well, it is intensely challenging to read it through. I could not digest the data.

I do not expect the illness of missing someone essential to come to me so brisk. But on second thought, this proves that I miss Charles abundantly.

'Mom, there's no -vast- way...' I pant.

'Oh my dear, you have to retreat. Were you bullied in school? Or is it...' Mom halts. She comprehends the cause of the disorder.

'Make sure to take your medications as prescribed. Here's a list of symptoms referring to how much medicine you take each day, and you will need to follow these instructions during home treatment.' Doctor says, handing over directions and details.

'Alright, we'll just get goin' then. Come 'long sweetheart.' Mom says.

Sending home for treatment was not as dreadful as I expected. I had a wonderful dream about a calm waterfall and me meditating beside it, making me complete. I reckon I could recover from such a tiny disease.

'Sweetheart, you'll eat your medicine the first thing we get home, unders– '

Looking in the mirror, my gratitude increased. This makes me recall the more terrible issue possessed by my grandfather. A heart disease that does not have any antidote.

I remember a quote from my grandparents: 'Don't stay only here, or you'll never grasp anything. Go explore the world, the key to gain knowledge.' It blocks most of my negative thoughts, and affects me remarkably. Take joining clubs as examples for this, I had always attempted to think of this quote anytime I felt overwhelmed.

'Charmi,' my grandfather said. We were discussing about my future. 'Me and your grandma won't be able to see ya grow up to be a powerful adult though, so we wish you to rely on yourself if you can in any circumstances, okay?'