01 | breakfast with the heat.

Hailey found it hard to sleep after what happened.

She was always tossing in her bed, rolling from side to side, unable to wipe off that drunk man from her memory. Everytime she was going back to that night she felt trapped, everything felt so small around her, the walls were getting closer, squeezing her body in anxiety that drew all of the air out of her lungs. She was suffocating at the thought of what could've happened if she weren't saved that night. If that weird but alluring man wouldn't defend her.

She wouldn't be here, that's for sure.

Nuevo Laredo was a small town. Right at the border with the States. So if something changed her mind and made her leave the Mexico, she could always cross the river and start from the beginning once again.

Easy to say, right?

Hailey didn't want to leave. She didn't want to get back to her old life. She wanted to forget about the things she has been through for the past few years and just enjoy her freedom. She made a promise to herself that she will never let her demons take control over her. But as easy as it seemed, no matter what, she was unable to forget. To wipe off the faces of the closest people she had. People she actually called family. The same one she grew up in and the same one being the reason of why she ended up here.

This morning wasn't any different from others. She got out of the bed before the alarm went off and did a quick trip to the bathroom for her morning routine. She brushed her teeth and splashed her face with cold water, just a small trick she picked up from highschool times to wake herself more.

She decided to make an oatmeal for the breakfast but when she reached to the cupboard she was met with an empty jar. It was Saturday. And still too early to go shopping. The outside world was still basking in the mid darkness, her neighbours still sleeping in their beds, the sun awaiting to rise.

Hailey Rikard wasn't a very patient person. So before the clock struck 7.am she was already on her way to the city's market. She didn't had a car, moving here only with a help of a few generous people. She walked by foot practically everywhere -- work, pharmacy, the park, even to the small museum that was opened not so long ago. And she never complained. She choosed to be here and now she had to face the harder part of living here.

She walked and walked until her feet dragged her to the bus stop. Her heart picked up an usteady pace as she tried hard not to look at that direction. Don't think about him. You're safe. You're alright. You're--

"Ay! Chica!"

She turned around, a sigh of relief escaping her.

"Holá, Manny!" she cheered, putting the best smile she could master at that moment. Her friend chuckled before wrapping her in his arms for a quick hug, that quickly washed the anxiety out of her. "What are you doing here? It's still early."

"I wanted to suprise my wife with waffles for breakfast. You know how she likes 'em. But then I looked around and realised there was no syrup or berries. If I don't get them, the whole plan will go to shit."

Her stomach twisted at the thought of warm and crispy waffles with white cream and strawberries on top of it. She really needed to eat something. Now.

"That's very thoughtful of you." she smiled at him. "I'm headed to the market for some oatmeal. Turns out I ran out of it this morning so--"

"Stop with the bullshit, nena. You're gonna eat with us today." he offered, pulling her to his side, a smile playing on his lips. "I don't take no for an answer. I said what I said, now let's go buy those berries, hm?"

She chuckled, nodding her head and following Manny to the market, slowly enveloping herself in the conversation.

* * *