ix. Starless Skies

— TENSIONS WERE HIGH inside that bright diner booth. Percy, Annabeth and Grover could only watch as Ares and Hugo scarfed chunks of burger down their throats, glaring at each other.

Annabeth ate her fries slowly, one at a time. Grover was too nervous to eat. And Percy? He just stared, awkward because of the standoff happening right next to him. Though, it was obvious that Ares only copied his son to get a rise out of him. Which only pissed the demigod off more.

Hugo finished first, wiping his face with the napkin on his lap. His glare didn't waver. Ares' fiery eyes refused to flicker, in fact, they burned brighter than ever before. "What do you want from them?" Hugo interrogated, leaning against the backrest of the booth. He was trying to assert dominance. A ballsy move, on his behalf.

"I need you to do me a favour," he said, turning to face Percy instead. The son of Poseidon looked perplexed. "What favour could I do for a god?" Hugo scoffed and rolled his eyes, muttering in bitter French. "Something a god doesn't have time to do himself," Ares went on. "It's nothing much. I left my shield at an abandoned water park here in town. I was going on a little... date with my girlfriend. We were interrupted. I left my shield behind. I want you to fetch it for me."

Hugo rose from the booth and the table shook. "Excusez-moi," he said, jaw clenched so tightly his teeth could've cracked. He marched out of the diner and into the darkness, his form disappearing within seconds.

Ares rolled his blazing eyes. "Don't worry about him," he said, "he's always been dramatic." Percy's brow rose. "A bit rich coming from you, don't you think?" The fire is Ares' eyes glowed a little hotter. "Look," he said with finality, "are you punks gonna get me my shield or not?"

"Why don't you go get it yourself?" Percy questioned. "Why don't I turn you into a prairie dog and run you over with my Harley? Because I don't feel like it." Ares leaned forward. "A god is giving you an opportunity to prove yourself, Percy Jackson. Will you prove yourself a coward?"

• • •

— STARLESS SKIES ALWAYS saddened Hugo Cadieux. The idea that he could be robbed of the night's beauty left fear in his body. Fear mingled with gratitude.

The concrete was hard and damp, forcing frigid moisture through his clothes. He lay on his back, hands sewed together atop his rising stomach. He was tired. Oh so very tired.

Perseus exited the diner, worried and exasperated. He and Hugo hadn't even exchanged a glance. That was far from what he wanted.

His form was hard to spot in the darkness. Shadow upon shadow, black atop black. Percy jogged through the diner parking lot, calling out for his friend.

Hugo heard him. Yet, he refused to answer. He couldn't face Percy, not yet.

His conscience shredded him apart; his wants begged him to let his presence be known. But, his needs protested in contempt and contrary. Why was he even here? What even compelled him to find Perseus in the first place? Admiration? A sense of responsibility? Something else entirely?

"There you are."

Hugo's eyes widened. Two green stars appeared before him. The enchanting colour of the northern lights cradled by short, black eyelashes. He had never noticed it, but, Perseus Jackson's eyes were breathtaking.

Percy watched Hugo's gaze soften, his pupils nearly swallowing it whole. He smiled. Joining his friend as his back and head shuffled along the drying pavement.

They sat in silence for a moment. "I'm sorry," said Hugo, softly, his dynamics barely above a whisper.

Percy turned his head, his eyes scanning the trace of Hugo's profile. Over the bruises, the blood and the scratches."Sorry for what?" he asked.

Hugo twisted toward Percy, fitting his arm beneath his head. His eyes held sincerity, which masked his truthful loneliness. "I don't know," he said. "I just... felt I should say it."

Hugo's gaze drifted from Percy's. The boy tensed up, returning to his back and crossing his arms over his chest. It was in a protective way, like he was trying to make himself feel smaller. Percy shifted his attention to the sky. Vast, endless, starless. "It's a shame," he spoke.

"What is?"

"That you can't see any stars tonight."

Hugo hummed. Percy glanced at the boy again. "You're not alone, you know," he said.

Hugo turned his head, his eyes glossed with tears. Percy took his hand. What compelled him to, he wasn't sure. But, he did.

He guided the boy's pale hand toward his face. He allowed Hugo to rest it there, his thumb gliding across his honey cheek. Percy chuckled, it was ticklish. Hugo smiled a small smile, his bruised fingers tracing the curve of Percy's jaw. He passed his neck and shoulders, his ivory palm finally settling over his heart. It thumped once, twice, three times.

Perseus was here. His friend was here. He wasn't alone anymore.

"So, uh, what happened to your face?"

"A really determined pigeon."

Percy snorted and clasped a hand over his mouth. He couldn't contain his laughter. It was infectious. The pair laughed together with varied levels of intensity. "Seriously?"

"Yes, Seaweed Brain, seriously."

Percy sighed with a laugh. "You're seriously calling me that too, Pigeon?"

"Pigeo- Pigeon? That's the stupidest nickname I've ever heard."

Percy leaned in closer, his eyebrow raised teasingly. "Oh, and 'Seaweed Brain' is so creative."

Hugo chuckled, his nose scrunching up as he grinned. "Shut up."

To think that there they would lay, uncomfortably nestled beneath the pitch of night laughing at stupid nicknames. Hugo sat up and Percy followed. The son of Ares turned to the tan boy, his eyes soft and grateful. "Thank you, Seaweed Brain."

"You're welcome, Pigeon."