Chapter 4 - Pain and Shadows (New)

I watched as the Cat-lady, Redline, left the cavern. Still shaken over how she almost just killed me earlier, I'd barely even moved from the spot after she took my offering when she tossed a blade in the spot I'd been. If I had been frozen there any longer...I didn't want to think about how close I came to dying again. 

It looks like befriending her was going to be a lot harder than I thought it was going to be.

Thanks voice, you're being astoundingly useless

I decided that simply following her was probably the best for now since she likely would remember the way to the entrance and since I was born here I didn't know the way out. I wouldn't have even known what to do if there was more than one fork in the path and no draft or light coming from the entrance...granted my sense of smell was much better than it had been I had no idea how good it actually was compared to my previous life's being that of a human's. 

I've never really thought about my previous life have I...

...well, thinking about it now isn't going to chance anything. I'll just come back to having an internal crisis later. 

I watched Redline leave through the tunnels silent as a rock while I calmed myself down enough to follow. Now would probably be a good time to distribute my points and see how close I could come to evening out the odds if I had to fight her, and run because I would definitely be running. 

But I didn't want to be alone...

Maybe it was this body's age, but I didn't like the idea of traveling around in a new world alone and without any idea of what to do next or where to go. First, lets look at what changes when I use my points: 

I seem to have 362 points to use: 120 from my first 12 levels, and an extra 30 points from John's soul, plus another 180 points and an extra 32 from Damien's soul, and the evolution seems to have given me another 30 points. 

I put one point into each stat area and was surprised to see that I couldn't actually put any into Magic. It was just a grayed out area of Question-marks and I had no idea why. It also seemed to cause my Mana stat to be dash marks, same for the Stamina, but I could put points into Dexterity...

Anyways here's what I found: one point into Constitution equals 20 health, one free point equals three Strength, and putting a point into Dexterity just increases it by a point. I didn't feel any different so maybe it wouldn't be a help towards much, or I had to use larger increments to actually feel a change? 

What do they each do anyways: 

(Constitution - The measure of one's health in mind and body. Should one's health reach 0 they may not necessarily die, but would be in dire need of medical assistance and rest).
(Warning: Straining oneself after Health reaches 0 will have detrimental effects on the soul, slowing recovery time and potentially making any such injuries into permanent detriments).  

Alright. It's good to know that...I looked back towards the two humans I killed, I'm glad I did it when they were weak, otherwise I really might've had problems. They seemed like the type to try and push past their 'limits' to strike back at the cost of anything else...maybe me sucking out their souls helped me avoid that outcome actually. 

(Strength - The measure of one's Defensive and Offensive prowess. Points put into strength will go more towards offence or defensive capabilities depending on class, race, and distribution of other stats). 
(Warning: Strength does not have a measure for the mind, the measure for how strong one's mind is correlates to how strong one's soul is. Should one's soul be injured or destroyed, so shall the mind suffer in return).