7.5

As the quartet pelts through the madness, Hermione gasps, catching sight of Lavender as she falls to the ground. Hermione's eyes shift, spy Greyback, lips still glistening with Lavender's blood, staring at her. He smiles, starts forward...

"NO!" Hermione's wand flashes. A defeating blast. Greyback takes it straight to the chest, pitches up into the air and drops. Unmoving.

The quartet races away from the burning castle. In the distance part of the Dark Forest burns, trees shedding sparks into the sky like scarlet feathers. Shadows do battle in the distant dark. Screams shatter the night.

A thunderous shock wave as a monstrous giant lurches into view, swinging one of the Quidditch goals, the golden ring dripping blood. Seeing the quartet, it whips the ring down, strafing them with threats of blood, but missing them, narrowly, scooping out a massive chunk of earth instead. It groans in anger, lumbers stupidly off. The quartet races on.

The quartet race down the steps towards the Boat House.

Harry, Ron, Harper and Hermione pick their way forward, moving quietly through the eerie light, then stopping within the safety of the shadows.

They watch Voldemort and Snape talk in the Boat House.

"Why doesn't it work for me?" Voldemort asked, extending the wand.

"You have performed extraordinary magic with this wand, my Lord. In the last few hours alone–"

"No!" Voldemort exclaimed, cutting Snape's words off. "I am extraordinary! But the wand resists me!"

"There is no wand more powerful. Ollivander himself said it. Tonight, when the boy comes to you, it will not fail you, I am sure. It answers to you and you only." Snape said.

"Does it?" Voldemort asked, holding the wand to the wavering light again, his eyes on Snape.

"My Lord?" Snape questioned.

"The wand. Does it truly answer to me?" Voldemort asked.

Snape says nothing. For a moment, he and Voldemort stand perfectly still, two faces in the darkness, the only sound is the lapping of the lake.

Harry studies Snape's face– calm, composed– then notes the hand concealed behind hud back, twitching with tension.

"You're a clever man, Severus. Surely you must know." Voldemort said.

Snape remains silent, gaze shifting to Nagini, still skimming slowly over the floor.

"Where, Severus? Where does its loyalty lie?" Voldemort asked.

Snape looks away from Nagini, and sees Voldemort staring at him. "With you, of course, my Lord."

Voldemort stares long at Snape, then, finally speaks. "The Elder Wand cannot serve me properly, Severus, because I am not its true master." He said. "The Elder Wand belongs to the wizard who killed its last owner. Ollivander was quite explicit about that. You killed Dumbledore, Severus. While you live, the Elder Wand cannot be truly mine."

Snape stares at Voldemort, then his eyes shift to Nagini, still circling. "My Lord–"

"You have been a good and faithful servant, Severus." Voldemort said, raising his wand, and points it at Snape's throat. "But only I can live forever..." He said, sweeping his arm away, turning the wand on Nagini. "Kill."

Snape's eyes shift meeting the snake's. The snake strikes. Harry's scream is swallowed by Snape's own. Voldemort runs a finger sling the wand, eyeing it with wonder, transfixed, then turns away.

"Nagini! Come!" Voldemort said, sweeping from the room, towards the lake's quivering darkness, the giant snake slithering after.

Harry rushes forward, into the strange, wavering light, then stops in horror, watching Snape's blood run like syrup over the weathered boards towards him. Ron bumps past, heading in the direction Voldemort took. Harper and Hermione pauses by Harry.