Chapter Forty: Back again

Chapter Forty

 As quickly as it came, it was gone. January 2nd had rolled around, which meant it was time for Matty and Sebastian to leave London and return to school. Matty had spent the night prior packing and thinking about how much she was going to miss home.

Sebastian had similar thoughts. He realized just how much he was going to miss being in an environment like this. A week and a half was all it took to make him wish he could stay here. But going back to school was important.

The home was already quiet as if preparing itself for the solemn feeling it would have when they did leave. It was quiet and a bit dull when Matty was gone for school and Ada wasn't quite sure if she was ready for it to go back to it, or for her daughter and Sebastian to leave at all. Having them there just felt so joyous—she'd keep them there forever if she had the chance.

Matty said goodbye to her home and went to the train station accompanied by her parents, Sebastian, Hope, and Hope's parents as well.

As they were saying their final goodbyes, Ada gave Sebastian a bone-crushing hug. She told him over and over how much she loved having him here and how he could come back and stay with them at any time. Then it was time for Matty to say goodbye to her parents.

"I'll miss you," She said, hugging the both of them.

"We'll miss you too," Ada said, returning the hug. "You'll be back before you know it," Howard assured his daughter.

As she was walking to board the train, Ada and Howard stayed on the platform, watching her leave yet again for school. They didn't think they'd ever get used to seeing her go. "Goodbye! We love you!" Ada said, waving to them as they boarded the train. "Don't be afraid to visit whenever—the guest room is always open!"

Howard couldn't help but chuckle a bit at his wife's words. She loved having Matty home more than anything. And she absolutely adored Sebastian. It was going to be odd having the house be so empty again.

Hope, Sebastian, and Matty all sat together for the train ride home. Although most of it was spent sleeping to make up for the lack of sleep that week, they had some lively conversations about how much they enjoyed being in London.

Matty could tell by the look in Sebastian's eyes as he spoke, he loved being in a place like her home. It was a heartwarming sentiment she'd always be proud of. Even a simple gaze could speak volumes.

After sitting for hours on the train, Hogwarts came into view. The sun was setting, and it made the school look beautiful as they were coming in. Then the train stopped. Some students had friends waiting for them at the station to get back, others just got off as quickly as they could.

The three gathered their luggage and loaded it up on a Thestral-drawn cart provided by the school so that they wouldn't have to drag their luggage up themselves all this way. As they were walking up the path a couple of feet away from the cart, something fell out.

Matty didn't rush up to get it though, instead, she pulled out her wand. "Accio!" She said, sending the item flying into her hand. "That felt nice." She laughed, referring to being able to use magic again.

"I'll say," Sebastian chucked. "London was amazing but not being able to use magic was really odd—perhaps even humbling in a way?"

"Well, some of us can't use magic outside of the school anyway because we're not old enough," Hope said, looking at Sebastian and Matty. Matty wasn't old enough, but she was allowed to practice magic in London before her fifth year since the school was able to pull a few strings.

"Oh, that's one benefit of being the oldest in our year." Sebastian started. "If we're off somewhere and you two can't just magic, you have to ask me to do everything."