Chapter 1 - Sage

Four years ago.........

I rush into an empty supply closet and hope that no one has seen me. I know I am ditching Neal, my best friend, during his wedding reception but I don't give a shit at this point. I have been humiliated enough tonight and would like to forget this entire night.

It shouldn't be like this. It's my best friend's wedding. I was part of the whole planning process and had been excited for this night since it was all Neal could talk about. Bree was his 'The One' and he couldn't wait to tie the knot.

I cannot believe I was this stupid. I saw the signs but I just didn't want to believe it. 'We're not working out Sage' fucking Darren and breaking up with me a few days before we were supposed to attend Neal's wedding together just to waltz in with his supposed "friend" draped around his arm. If only he hadn't come to the wedding, but it had completely slipped my mind that he was invited, one of Neal's college friends. Couldn't be avoided.

Just Friends. Just Co-workers. My Ass.

Why did he have to parade her in front of me like that? Ugh. It made me feel so damn disgusted with myself that I was ever with such an asshole like that.

All I wanted was a night away from all my stupid problems and to enjoy a good wedding. One of the moments that me and Neal have looked forward to all our lives.

But at this moment, I wish I was anywhere else.

I jump when I hear a door close farther down the hallway from where I am. Probably someone hooking up in one of the other rooms.

Wedding hookups are common knowledge.

Maybe it is Darren. Who the fuck knows?

I want to say I am just done with all of this bullshit, I know for a fact that I am not as strong as I pretend to be in front of everyone else.

Outside, in the real world, I am a freaking badass, if you ask Neal. 24 years old and still not as quite happy as I pretend to be. My achievements do not reflect how I am inside at all.

I am a completely insecure person underneath and I would be happy if I could blame it all on Darren. Or one of my ex for that matter. But, it wasn't all him. Home life had never been good for me. Throughout my childhood, I had stuck close to Neal and Nav. Their family had always been the ones I clung to when I needed a safe space.

Neal and Nav, twin brothers, were my saving grace when I was 10 years old and had to start over in a new city. With my mother, not in the picture, and my father, working hard and busy. Their house was my regular hang-out spot.

Neal and I became the ultimate duo and Nav was the older one, by a few minutes to Neal. It was the three of us until high school. Nav got popular because of football and stopped hanging out with us as much.

Me and Neal were all each other had. We stuck together like glue throughout high school, and college and now live only a block apart.

The rattling on the door to the supply closet I was in brings me out of my daze. I look over to notice a splash of dirty blond hair that I would recognize anywhere.

Thank God.

"Neal" I exclaim as I open the door and pull him in. I don't wait for him to say anything before I hug him. I need the closeness. I needed the warmth and the safe feeling he always provided.

I feel his hand on my arms and I go completely still.

Because Neal doesn't have callused hands.

And he did not wear that specific suit.