Obscure Thoughts

"Where are we sitting for lunch?" Abram asks.

"I guess we'll find out," Citrine replies.

Little did they know that they were a little too slow  because all the tables had already been snatched up by countless groups of kids, it was like a mob of students. They might've seen the same scene last year but it doesn't fail to baffle after a few months, especially with how lively the crowd was as many of them were reuniting after the break.

"..Did you make any friends that we can sit with?" Citrine says, looking up at Abram.

Abram raises one of his eyebrows, "Not anyone I have in mind, you?"

"I guess we're gonna have to sit on the floor somewhere or something," Citrine sighs.

The two find a spot next to a wall and sit down with their food.

"Sooo, have you met anyone interesting?" Citrine questions as she takes out a pair of chopsticks to eat her homemade lunch.

Abram's mind subconsciously jumps to think about that boy he saw in the morning in his homeroom class. In the short amount of time they made eye contact, Abram felt as if he and the boy were the only ones in the room. Abram grimaces when he thought back on how he turned away so fast, he should've let his eyes lingered a little longer but maybe it was best that he turned around then or he could've done something embarrassing, not that he knows what he could've possibly done..

"Hmm..there was this boy-"

"A BOY??" Citrine says, almost lunging into Abram's face.

"uh..yes, a boy," Abram restates, startled.

"OMG, I want to hear, tell me all about him."

For some reason Abram feels a little uneasy sharing this to Citrine, almost as if he's going to lose something in their bond once he talks about his interest in another person. Nonetheless, Abram decides to ignore these haphazard feelings, after all, Citrine's the only one who'd listen to him without annoying him anyway.

"Um it's just some guy in my homeroom, he sits a few seats behind me."

"..And?" Citrine prods him.

"I don't know, we made eye contact I guess, I saw him looking at me in the corner of my eye so I turned to look at him," his dark hair framed his face perfectly and his eyes were black like many other's but something about them drew you in, Abram thought to himself, he wasn't about to say that to Citrine because that would mean actually acknowledging those thoughts and passing an unknown line with Citrine where there's no taking back his words.

"That's it? Only a bit of eye contact? I asked if there was anyone interesting you know, not some random interactions you had with strangers," Citrine sighs and pouts a little but she shifts her attention back to her food, showing that she's moved on from the topic. Strangely, it brings Abram a bit of relief knowing she probably won't ask about the boy anymore.

———

The rest of the school day goes by in a flash as his brain wandered off somewhere and went on autopilot after having had lunch with Citrine, Abram is already back home in his room. He doesn't even remember half of the school day, nor any of the faces of his now classmates.

He's left alone with his thoughts that cloud his mind. He doesn't know why telling Citrine about a boy he found cute bothered him so much. Yes he admits that the boy was cute.

Is there something more behind these emotions?