008

                                                   . SURVIVAL GAME . .៹♡
                                                     CHAPTER EIGHT
                                          ─── THE POISON FOG

៹♡                                                      CHAPTER EIGHT                                          ─── THE POISON FOG

"Hang on." Katniss said in a serious tone. The group had covered a considerable distance. Katniss led the way and marked her position by throwing nuts at the force field. The goal was for all group members to know their location. Peeta seemed completely wiped out by the events, but he continued to fight. Now Katniss stopped. She deftly wrapped her bow around her body and then began to climb the nearest tree.

Velren, Celestia, Finnick, Aurora and Peeta watched her carefully until she disappeared from view. Then they just stood there and waited for her return. Katniss was gone for a while and looked for what Velren was sure was water. Soon she dropped down from the tree and walked towards them. She wiped her forehead as sighed. "The force field, it's a dome. We're at the edge of the arena. I couldn't find any signs of fresh water."

"It's getting dark soon," Finnick announced while he supported himself on one leg and leaned slightly forward. "We'll be safe with our backs protected. We should set up camp, take turns sleeping. I or Velren can take first watch." 

After Finnick had made his suggestion, Katniss turned to him with an expression that made it clear that she thought he was crazy and burst out laughing sarcastically. "Not a chance." she replied firmly.  Finnick looked at her in shock, while Velren even gave her a slightly offended look. It was obvious that Katniss still wasn't ready to trust him and Finnick, and her skeptical look betrayed her continued distrust.

Velren instantly stood up from his place, much to Celestia's attempt at holding him back, and dug his trident into the the ground of the jungle. "Sweetheart." he began to say in a dangerously calm voice. "That thing I did  back at the Cornucopia for Peeta, and that thing Finnick did back there for him? That was called saving his life. Or rather, that was called saving the guy life who murdered my best friend last year.  If we wanted to kill either one of you , we would have done it by now, believe me." He held her gaze for a few seconds before he pulled his weapon out of the dirt and took a few steps away from the group. He sat down on the ground and made the same expressionless face as when Katniss, Finnick and him had clashed.