0.3 An unholy, disgusting thing

Two friends sat beside each other, cigarettes burning between their fingers. They were supposed to leave the camp in the morning, but now when Merle was really gone, neither of them knew what to do. Sun was slowly raising. Few people took care of burying the bodies, as the rest made use of the little time they got left to say goodbye to their loved ones.

"They want to go to CDC." Daryl said waiting for any reaction from Kai's side. He silently wished for the younger to choose either they want to stay with the group or not.

"For what?" Kim's expression stayed unchanged.

"I don't know. They hope it'd be safe out there. The Jim guy got bit. They want the scientists to cure him." A pitied grin appeared on Kai's face. There was no cure, he was somehow sure of that.

"You want to go with them?" Daryl only shrugged.

"Do we have any other plan?"

"So CDC it is." Younger sighed heavily. He didn't really like the idea of staying with those people. They couldn't feel safe around them and vision of being constantly worried of his and Daryl's well being didn't seem like a nice thing. But he could sense that Daryl felt differently. He wanted to stay. After Merle was gone he didn't want them to be left all alone, and Kai respected that need.

After sometime everyone got they things packed, being ready to leave. Two friends got into Merle's old truck. The silence between them was uncommonly uncomfortable.

"You good?" Younger Dixon tried to make up for any conversation. He somehow hated how down Kai seemed to be.

"Nah..." Asian man only whispered in response. "It's weird to not have him around."

"At least no one is calling you a fag anymore..." Daryl's attempt to light up the mood only made it worse.

He was right, Merle loved to insult Kai by his accusations, but hearing this from Daryl's mouth was different. It made Kim's chest burn with pain which was hitting so deep, he could feel it in his bones.

"Maybe he was right though? No girl for thirty fucking years of my life?" Kai tried to turn it into a joke.

"Don't even scare me like that. I'm older than you and beside that one time with drunk Betty I also didn't have anyone. I'm still no gay, neither are you." A bitter taste made a quick comeback on Kai's tongue. With each conversation like that, he grew even more sure of how Daryl would hate him if he knew the truth. And with each of those thoughts he felt even more ashamed by himself.

Kai sank deeper into his seat, letting his body language to reveal how uncomfortable he was. Luckily for him, Daryl didn't seem to pay much attention to his behavior. He drove in silence, focusing on the road.

***

Rest of the travel wasn't as peaceful as it was supposed to be. They've stopped at least three times. Two because of the crappy engine in the RV, and once because of Jim. The guy wasn't doing well. The fever hit him with triple force, making them all understand that he won't make it. Jim wasn't stupid himself. Knowing his fate, he asked for a gun and demanded to be left behind.

"If this ever happens to me, I want you to kill me." Kai said as he and Daryl got back to their truck. Older only glared at him in confusion.

"It won't." Just the thought of losing his friend made the Dixon feel uneasy.

"You don't know that. And if it happens I need you to know what I want to be done. I don't want to wonder around the world, decomposing, eating some covered in shit animals, or worse – people."