The Fair Fundraiser, Part Three

Sera, Tarek, Alani, and I stroll through the fair as the crowds thin around the attractions. The distant sound of music and cheers echoes from the pier's DJ booth. People are slowly moving towards the music, and so are we. Alani proudly carries a big stuffed dinosaur, making her seem even tinier.

"I didn't know you were such a good shooter. Are you secretly working for the CIA or... you're a criminal, aren't you?" Alani's voice rings out. Tarek laughs, putting his arm around her. Sera and I follow behind, her shoulder occasionally brushing against mine. I briefly entertain the thought of holding her hand, but dismiss it as a ridiculous, intrusive idea.

"My brother and I used to shoot empty bottles at our grandparents' farm. My grandfather let us use real rifles. Made me feel like the man..." He smiles, gazing at the ocean, clearly reminiscing.

I've never heard Tarek talk about a brother before. This upsets me a little as I listen in to them talk. I dated him in freshman year... I've never met a brother??? I decide not to get into it.

As we stand by the pier, Alani and Tarek chat privately a bit farther from the group. We gaze at the sea, I'm wondering when we'll go to the DJ. It's odd how Alani and Tarek have been steering clear of the bars for quite a while now...

Sera leans in and asks, "Hey, you want to, like, maybe go somewhere? Get some food or something?" She's close, and our eye contact tugs at my heart. I can't suppress a soft laugh at her suggestion, and honestly, there's nothing I'd rather do than leave this place. Glancing at Alani and Tarek, she's talking endlessly like always, and Tarek listens attentively...

Seeing Alani get treated so well warms my heart; he is...better for her.

I turn back to Sera with a wide smile. "Yeah, I think these two can manage themselves." Sera looks me up and down, a quick but noticeable glance, then licks her lips. As we start walking away, I catch Alani's questioning gaze. "We're going to... go," I say, pointing towards the parking lot.

Alani flashes a huge, knowing smile. "So, I don't have to drive you home?" I shake my head, and she winks at me. "Alright! Have fun, you two!" I roll my eyes, and quickly catch up with Sera, who's already a bit ahead.

We walk along the side of the pier, and I stay close, our bodies shifting against each other, quietly hoping for another chance tonight... She seems to be deep in thought. I give her a moment to ponder while I enjoy the island's beauty—warm, orange street lights illuminating the palm trees swaying in the wind. The roadside is empty, and it seems still and peaceful at night.

Even though I'm thoroughly enjoying tonight, my thoughts remain scattered. I'm uncertain if my attraction to Sera is genuine or if I'm merely seeking distraction from something deeper inside... There's an eerie feeling, a nagging sensation telling me this may not be real. Yet, why does being with her feel so good?

She's incredibly kind, understanding, and compassionate. Is she genuinely interested or am I just a game to her? Why do I always get that fearful feeling? The suddenness of her interest makes it almost challenging to believe it's sincere. Or perhaps... These doubts are just my trust issues screaming they're here.

The wind sweeps through my hair, carrying the strong scent of sea salt as I take a deep breath, searching for something to say or ask.

"Maya," Sera begins, almost whispering.

I turn my head towards her, but her beautiful long hair obstructs my view. I swiftly tuck it behind her ear, seemingly making her blush—woah. Did I just do that? "Can I ask you something?" Sera 's cautious...

I try to stop thinking, it's giving me a headache.

"Anything," I nod as we stroll across the parking lot. A light chuckle escapes her lips as she swiftly unlocks her car. With a flash of light, the vehicle comes to life, and I open the side door.