Tell It To the Frogs

The ride back to base camp was filled with an uncomfortable silence. While Merle's absence certainly helped to create a less antagonistic atmosphere, no one could really enjoy it. An undercurrent of betrayal hung heavily. No matter the reason, the fact that Merle had been left breached the unspoken promise that all survivors felt. It was humanity against the dead. No one wanted their life to mean the death of another, even someone as aggravating as Merle. The guilt seemed to weigh especially heavily on T-dog, who felt he was specifically to blame for Merle's absence.

"Best not to dwell on it." Morales stated. "Merle got left behind. Nobody's gonna be sad he didn't come back... Except maybe Daryl."

Rick looked back after swerving around yet another abandoned vehicle. "Daryl?"

Morales nodded sadly. "His brother."

The silence was broken as Glenn raced by again, the car alarm blaring. He snaked through the maze of cars and walkers, his shouts of joy ringing out through the rolled down windows as he pumped his fists. Rachel snickered, watching the walkers he passed unable to do anything more than feebly reach out before quickly giving up, knowing they had no chance of catching the raving red streak.

"Whoo-hoo!" He yelled exuberantly as the car climbed the canyon road.

Morales chuckled as the cube van slowed to a stop behind the blaring sports car. "At least somebody's having a good day." He pulled up the door and nodded to Rick and the girls. "Come meet everybody."

"Come on, Emma. Let's set this dumpster fire ablaze." Rachel sighed and she picked Kuzco up before hopping down from the truck herself. She was sure the whole thing would be a disaster. They'd pinned all their hopes on being a safe haven. There was no military waiting to rescue them. There was no one waiting there with food and medicine. Instead the city belonged to the dead. They were worse off now than when they started; now there wasn't even the hope of rescue.

Emma and Rachel awkwardly joined the group amidst the celebrations of being reunited with loved ones. They were the odd ones out. Literally on the outside of the group looking in as Andrea ran towards a younger blonde, hugging her tightly as the two girls cried.

"Amy!"

"Andrea! Oh my god! You scared the shit out of me."

The separation between Rick and the girls and the rest of the group widened into a chasm as they watched Morales' family run to him and embrace him.

"Papi! Daddy!" The boy yelled as he jumped into his father's arms.

Rachel put an arm around Emma and pulled her close, squeezing her. Emma's hands began shaking with anxiety over the new situation. They were alone within the group, though they did notice a boy and his mother standing apart from the group, comforting each other over some unknown sadness. She was thin, almost to the point of emaciation, and her eyes looked cold except for when she talked with her boy. They wondered, for a moment, what the cause of his sadness was since the group had returned mostly intact. Had he noticed Merle was not there? Was he related to him? She dismissed the thought immediately. From what little she knew of Merle, she couldn't imagine any woman putting up with him long enough to produce a child.

The girls took in the group as a whole, particularly noting the man that stood near the sports car. She nudged Emma, jerking her head slightly to indicate the man.

His eyes were intense as he looked over the survivors, raking his hair back from his face only for it to spring back into his unruly cloud. His gaze grew more intense as the woman and her boy seemed to become the sole focus of his attention. It was unnerving how he watched the mother wipe away her boy's tears and whisper to him softly. It seemed like he hadn't even noticed them, or the fact that Morales and the others had come back with new people and without Merle. Both girls immediately knew just by the way he looked at the woman that there was something there. He looked at her like he wanted her, needed her. Rachel was sure he was dangerous, but just how dangerous, she wasn't quite sure of yet.