Chapter 7: Nightmare

(If anyone wishes to think of this story as acts, this marks the beginning of act 2.)

*

I awaken on a cold, hard floor. That can't be right, I was just at home on my bed a minute ago. It must be another dream. I thought I was finally rid of these when they stopped over the past week. I guess I thought wrong.

I pick myself up off the floor and look around. It was just like the last dream. The same golden flowers, the same dust.

"A little late this time." A strangley familiar, yet eery voice calls out. I turn to face it, but a sharp stabbing pain shoots through my chest. I look down to see what caused it, hardly aware of the shadow in front of me.

I was stabbed. Right in the heart. By a red knife.

I grit my teeth in pain and clutch at the knife as I look up at my attacker, which, upon realizing who it was, caused more distress than the wound.

It was Chara. Except something was wrong. Her eyes were black, and a dark substance rolled down her face.

This isn't right. Why would she do this? She isn't a murderer. She'd never hurt anyone.

"Oh, if you only understood the irony of that statement." 'Chara' says, giggling demonicly.

This was just a dream. A dream that I will wake up from. That's how dying in a dream works, right? And this has to be a dream, as the fake Chara wouldn't be able to respond to my thoughts if it wasn't.

My vision starts to blur at the edges. Was I crying? It didn't hurt. It must be weird dream rules.

"Could you hurry up and die faster? It's incredibly annoying to sit here and listen to you figure this out." 'Chara' says angrily, taking another stab at my chest.

That one hurt. My vision blurs even more and starts to go dark around the edges. I try to verbalize a question, but Blood fills my lungs, and I can only cough as my vision fades more, going black in just a few more seconds.

*

I awaken once more on the floor. It's the same cold, hard floor. That can't be right. I should be in my bed.

I stand up once more, only for a swift sharp pain in my back, piercing one of my lungs.

"Hmmm. I missed your heart. Gotta remember, everything is backward when I hit from the back." 'Chara' says as she materializes in front of me. The black substance was thicker this time, and she wore a demonic grin. The image stayed burned in my brain as I closed my eyes. Terrifying didn't come close to what I felt as I saw it. I could feel the knife still in my back.

"You dont look so good yourself. Anyway, go on, ask your silly little questions so we can get this over with." 'Chara' continues, looking more annoyed than anything.

"Who are you? What is happening?" I ask quickly. The pain was weird. It was most certainly there, but felt dulled compared to if this was real life. Getting stabbed should have me on my knees from the pain, but here I feel practically fine, aside from the aching of the wound.

'Chara' scoffed. "You know very well who I am. Quite frankly, you  considering me fake is incredibly rude. I am the genuine, one and only, Chara. The Demon that comes when you call its name. As for the second question, well, I can't answer that one yet. That's for you to figure out." 'Chara' replied, giggling demonicly once more, materializing another knife in her hands.

She really does look like Chara. "You can't be her. She would never hurt someone." I say, grasping at straws as she stabs me in the heart. I tried to back away, tried to move at all, but it was as if though my body was locked in place. This was a nightmare.

"Did I mention the irony? Of course, that stray that you provided shelter to and took in isn't me. She is a version of me. A weaker me. One that cares. How pathetic." 'Chara' snarls the last part, and her demonic grin falls to a frown. "Why she tolerates your presences and sticks by your side is quite frankly a mystery to me. Doesn't matter anyway." She continues, stabbing me in the stomach as my body refuses my attempts to move. My vision blurs, and once more goes black.

*

I hop up as soon as I awaken this time, but I trip over my comforter and land face first on the wooden floor. It was my floor. I was back to reality.

"Woah." I hear a voice say. It sounded like Chara. The real Chara. Not the fake 'Chara'. There was a clear difference in tone. Notably, a far less demonic one, and when I looked, her face didn't have the black stuff on it, and her eyes were the normal red.

"Are you alright?" Chara asks as I pull myself to my feet. She was floating next to my bed. "I think so. I don't mean to be rude, but why are you in here?" I question, curious.

"You called out to me. I couldn't make anything else out, but you kept saying my name, so I came. After all, I am the demon that comes when you call her-" "Please don't finish that line." I cut her off sharply, trying not to be mean in the process. She looked hurt briefly but recognized I clearly wasn't alright. I didn't want to hear her say it. The images of her face covered in the black tar like substance, and her horrifying smile was still burned into my memory.

"Alright. I'll drop the catchphrase. What happened? Did you have a bad dream?" She asks, with a teasing tone at the end, which causes me to frown a bit. "I had a nightmare. Except I don't think it was  normal." I begin explaining.

*

I finished explaining the details of the nightmare to Chara as she sits on my bed. I was sitting on my desks chair, fidgeting with my hands. I felt oddly safe with Chara. She put me at ease, simply listening as I explained the nightmare. She seemed disturbed by it as much as I did and now was thinking it over.

After a minute of silence, she finally speaks. "I would never hurt anyone. I hope you know that." She starts, looking at me. "I know. You've saved me 3 times now. You're one of the kindest people i know." I respond, giving a small reassuring smile, which causes her to smile in turn, but it fades quickly.

"That... may change with what I have to tell you. I thought Frisk would have a long time ago, but I guess it falls to me." Chara says, frowning.

"If this is about the past, it won't change my opinion of the you from the here and now." I reply, trying to be reassuring.

"You haven't heard what it is yet. It is incredibly naive to think that." She responds. "Maybe, maybe not." I reply. Her frown cracks, and she smiles a small bit again.

"I don't deserve to be here..." She mutters as she takes a deep breath.

"It all started a long time ago. Humans and monsters..."

*

(Sorry to cut it off here, but I feel for story structure, it fits better for Chara to explain things in the next chapter. Hope you enjoy, and as always, feedback is always welcome!)